Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 2, 2006, 1:07 AM   #1

It has been years now that I have had the digital bug. I recently purchased my first major DSLR (EOS 30D) and want/need to learn many things without making too many mistakes as I go. For now, I need advice on the following:

Like many, I have already accumulated thousands of digital photos.
I have used the software that came with each of the three digital cameras as well as IrfanView and Picasa2. I am about to switch over to IMATCH 3. My intention is to reorganize my photos in a meaningful (to me) way. So if you will indulge me, I would like to start with a few questions.

1) With my new 30D I loaded the included software but wonder if I will need it once using IMATCH?

2) Will IMATCH allow me to archive all of the data from each photo I take or will I lose some of it?

3) With IMATCH, should I uninstall the proprietary software for my 30D and FujiFilm S5000 as well as IrfanView and Picasa2 and rely only on IMATCH and PhotoShop 7?

3) Once in IMATCH, will I be able to integrate its file structure from my PhotoShop 7 w/o altering the original data from the camera?

4) I have four ways to store my digital media yet don't know which I should select and stick with. I have used CDs, I can use DVDs, I just added a Maxtor OneTouch III 100GB and of course I can start using "memory vaults/memory sticks". Which is the best form, not just limited to the above, for storing digital media?

I realize I have asked quite a number of questions yet I believe they are all related to one another.

Your advice and opinions are seriously welcome and appreciated.
Steve
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2006, 2:20 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Imatch and Photoshop between them should be sufficient.

Imatch for organising and viewing and PS for editing.

You will still need to think about how to structure your file storage. In general it's a bad idea to have too many files in one directory. More than a few hundred and things start to slow down a lot.

You can set Imatch to watch directories (and subdirectories) for new additions and automatically catalogue them.

Not sure what you mean in #2 & #3, Imatch is a database program. It can read all the EXIF data and stores a great deal of additional data that you may wish to "attach" to your photos.

#4 - a good basic rule of thumb is to have at least 2 copies of every file. One on a hard disk that is easily accessible to your programs and one on removable storage of some sort. For example I initially copy my files from the camera to my laptop hard disk, then I will make a copy to an external drive then delete them from my camera, when I have enough files to fill a new DVD I will copy those onto the DVD and (depending on how much hard disk space I have) remove them from my laptop.

In general I'm not too bothered about archiving ALL my processed files to DVD, I just make sure I have a backup of my RAW (negatives) files. If I have a hard disk failure I feel I can always re-process if I have to. For special images I will archive the processed photoshop files too.

If you are shooting RAW and processing you will soon find that an external 100Gb drive is probably not going to be enough. But external storage always gets cheaper, so when you run out it will be easy to add more.

Do read the Imatch manual on how to manage the situation where you want to move files from one disk to another. It also has some features which allow you to manage DVD archives too. It is a very powerful program for its price.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 2:41 AM   #3

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Imatch and Photoshop between them should be sufficient.

Imatch for organising and viewing and PS for editing.

You will still need to think about how to structure your file storage. In general it's a bad idea to have too many files in one directory. More than a few hundred and things start to slow down a lot.

You can set Imatch to watch directories (and subdirectories) for new additions and automatically catalogue them.

Not sure what you mean in #2 & #3, Imatch is a database program. It can read all the EXIF data and stores a great deal of additional data that you may wish to "attach" to your photos. On #2, I was not certain if some of the data created with each photo would be lost when downloaded to Imatch. In some earlier threads, I thought I remembered reading that was the case with certain programs/applications.

As to #3, for both digital cameras, I initially installed the software that came with the two cameras. I am uncertain if I even need those proprietary programs once I start using Imatch and Photoshop 7. My feeling is that it is possible they are no longer necessary. I don't know if this clears up what I meant or not . . .

#4 - a good basic rule of thumb is to have at least 2 copies of every file. One on a hard disk that is easily accessible to your programs and one on removable storage of some sort. For example I initially copy my files from the camera to my laptop hard disk, then I will make a copy to an external drive then delete them from my camera, when I have enough files to fill a new DVD I will copy those onto the DVD and (depending on how much hard disk space I have) remove them from my laptop.

In general I'm not too bothered about archiving ALL my processed files to DVD, I just make sure I have a backup of my RAW (negatives) files. If I have a hard disk failure I feel I can always re-process if I have to. For special images I will archive the processed photoshop files too.

If you are shooting RAW and processing you will soon find that an external 100Gb drive is probably not going to be enough. But external storage always gets cheaper, so when you run out it will be easy to add more. Within a day or two of buying the 100GB Maxtor I could see I should have opted for the terabyte external, portable drive. I am on the verge of replacing my present computer and wanted a solid/stable means of storing my photos. I have previously put them on CDs and included contact prints for a viewable reference.

Do read the Imatch manual on how to manage the situation where you want to move files from one disk to another. It also has some features which allow you to manage DVD archives too. It is a very powerful program for its price.
Thank you for taking the time to offer me some much needed advice and guidance.
Steve
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 1:44 PM   #4
Super Moderator

You certainly won't need any additional software for the 30D, and I presume that the Fuji only shoots JPG, so you won't need anything else for that either. You could therefore certainly unistall the software that came with the cameras.

I only used the software that came with my 20D for a short period, and I won't be using any of the Canon software when I eventually buy my 5D.

I am pretty sure that Imatch is completely non-destructive when it comes to retaining EXIF data. I'm not 100% sure that the same can be said for Photoshop however. At any rate the "main" information about focal length, shutter speed, ISO, etc. Is all retained by both programs.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 4:54 PM   #5

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
What is a good way to keep track of archived aimages? And then on top of that how to track RAW and Processed images in archive? Finding images become a chore at times. Just by date or event? Is there a better way to do it? May be separate DVD's for RAW and Processed images???:? Any suggestions?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 5:54 PM   #6

If you have adobe bridge (this is what I have been using) you can do a batch rename and you can also do a batch for keywords... That way when you search for specific words those pictures will show up...

I am a little paranoid when it comes to my photos.. Here is my work flow just for saving:

1. take the cf/sd/ etc out of my camera and use an external card reader.

2. As soon as my photos are copied to the hard drive I make a cd/dvd copy of them on archival disks. (yes they are a little more expensive, but it is worth it to me)

3. Once I am done burning the disk I then copy them to my external drive and to a drive that is on my server in the closet.

4. For some of the photo's I have made an additional disk and stored them at my mom's house.

I have lost photo's and graphic files before and it is a pain in the butt and heartbreaking.. I back it up!!

5. once done I stick the card back in my camera and have the camera reformat my card and I am done~

Whole backing up time is about 20mins... plus or minus... If possible I always shoot in raw... I know it takes up space but hey...... hard drives and disks are cheap these days...

One other thing, when it comes to hard drives I always try to go larger..... with the prices cheap... same for externals.... sure you can get smaller ones but then desk real estate becomes an issue.....and storage etc... If you have everything backed up you don't have to worry about them crashing.. :-)

R~

rhett7660 is offline   Reply With Quote