Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 9, 2006, 9:30 AM   #11

dude save yourself all of the trouble and get the canon 30d.

i am saying this after getting minolta, pentax, olympus, and nikon. get the canon 30d.

being a die-hard minolta fan my whole life i always rooted for the underdog.

get the canon 30d and youll sleep better knowing you have the industries standard camera.
photov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 1:08 PM   #12

wait for a couple of more months and check whats in store from canon. They will/ yes they WILL come out with a camera to get back into the race.

They came out with XTI and i am guessing they will come out with something to compete with D200.

So if possible wait for a couple of more months.

Vj
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 1:39 PM   #13

Thanks, guys. Thanks for not shooting me if I don't get a Canon! :lol: My choice might come down to something as small as whether or not I can live with the viewfinder...I wear bifocals (yeah, I'm old) and this is a real consideration, since I'll be shooting in dark bars.

Glad you liked my sample photos.

I'm about to drop off a display to solicit work taking pictures. If Ishoot anything that I'm allowed to make public, I'll post it.

jbigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 6:05 PM   #14

i wear glasses too... arms too short, the whole bit... but i have no trouble with the viewfinder on my 30D. it was a big step up for me, from a Panasonic FZ20, but i figured if i got the 30D and a couple of good lenses, i wouldn't need to upgrade again for a very long time. i did a lot of research, and from what i could tell, the Canons set the standard for overall image quality, so that's what i bought. i can tell you this much... i have taken some killer shots with that 30D, and have never for a moment regretted spending the money. you may find a Nikon or some other brand suits you just as well, and in many respects there's not a lot of difference, so go with what feels right to you. and remember, the camera is only a recording device. it records what you see, but YOU have to SEE....

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 8:25 PM   #15
NHL

jbigfoot wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, guys. Thanks for not shooting me if I don't get a Canon! :lol: My choice might come down to something as small as whether or not I can live with the viewfinder...
Well if you can go by the rumour, Nikon might be out next week with a very small D40 dSLR which could be a price leader @ under $500 (i.e. even below Oly)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 4:00 AM   #16

I've heard of the 30D but know little about it.

I saw pictures of the D40 and it looks tiny! I would have a hard time handling it.

And I also saw that Nikon is discontinuing their bundling of the D80 with the 18-135 lens. This is cause for consternation.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 4:01 AM   #17

NHL, you get the award for the most clever location information! I did a search and found out where it is...in my favorite state (next to Ohio, of course!). I have never been to your city, though.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 9:00 AM   #18

jbigfoot wrote:
Quote:
I've heard of the 30D but know little about it.

I saw pictures of the D40 and it looks tiny! I would have a hard time handling it.

And I also saw that Nikon is discontinuing their bundling of the D80 with the 18-135 lens. This is cause for consternation.
the 30D is basically an upgraded 20D, which is Canon's mid-grade DSLR. it's a notch above the Rebel/XT series, but not quite as full-featured as their pro-grade cameras like the 5D or 1D models. Steve's review page will tell you all about it...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote