Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 7, 2006, 9:10 PM   #1

Does anyone know if there is a setting for shooting black & white images on the Rebel? I have checked the manual and Steve's review and I find no mention of it. Is this a software solution only?
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2006, 8:47 AM   #2

nope...

you can go to parameter settings, and there is a black and white parameter. You can choose the contrast and sharpness, and even add a colour tone. Unless that's only a XT add-on... I don't think so.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 9:02 AM   #3

Thanks,

I thought about that but haven't tried it. I check in to it.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:35 AM   #4

Is there any advantage or difference from shooting the picture originally in black and white, rather than shooting it in color and doing a straight desaturation with Photoshop?
elduderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 12:22 PM   #5

As far as I know, not really. I think some one could make the case that shooting Raw in B&W would allow for better editing after the shot. It could be easier to add filters for effects on B&W that may be more difficult in software. I know the 20D has filter effects built in. Maybe someone else can shed light on the matter.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 7:23 PM   #6

elduderino wrote:
Quote:
Is there any advantage or difference from shooting the picture originally in black and white, rather than shooting it in color and doing a straight desaturation with Photoshop?
There is not really any advantage to shooting b&w other than just being able to get the instant feed back from the lcd. Which is a good learning tool when you first start shooting in b&w to help you see how different colors reflect light. Some colors that are very different in color look the same in black and white. Red and green both look pretty much the same in black and white because they both reflect about the same amount of light. This is why when you shoot black and white film you would use the color filters. You can add these filter effects in post processing too.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote