Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 8, 2006, 1:41 PM   #1

GOT MY CANON 400D !!! (Finaly as other will say :-) )

I've just got the Canon EOS Kiss Digital X (400D) body only, I want to buy tomorrow a lens to start shooting, please help me decide, I thought about the 50mm 1.8II or the kit lens, which should I buy ??
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2006, 4:57 PM   #2

Both.

the 50mm is an excellent lens for the money and pretty good in low light and potrait.

If u can bend a bit with spending, get a sigma 18-50 f2.8 or a tamron 17-50 2.8.

And a much cheaper but a btter alternative is sigma 18-125. A decent walk around lens with good image sharpness.

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...3556/index.htm

Also u can check sigmas 17-70 f2.8-4 with macro. it comes with a 1:2 macro(i think) but a sharp lens too.

I have suggested some lens as a compromise to Kit lens. the kit lens by itself is a good lens though a bit slow.

And i wonder why u picked the body alone when u want a kit lens. I thought with the body the kit lens costs much less than the actual value.

Check places like Adorama, KEH, FredMiranda for used lens. These kit lens are availble at around 70-100 bucks.

Hope it helps

Vj
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 5:00 PM   #3

I have no budget right now (student) for both so I need to choose one and for now I can't afford an more expensive lens, so I need to choose one that cost as one of them, please advice.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 6:29 PM   #4

it depends on what you want to shoot.

the problem with a 50mm lens on the 400d is it's a bit tight for indoors or for landscape work.

So, on a 1.6 crop body I think the kit lens will give you much more flexibility than the 50mm 1.8.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 6:42 PM   #5

go with the kit lens. Its a pretty decent lens with good focul range. 18-55 is a decent focal length range. And many use it very well to get good pictures

As i said earlier the only restriciton is the speed of the lens. From built to image sharpness its pretty decent.

http://www.pbase.com/daifreed/canon_350d_tests

some shots from 18-55 lens. Really good lens when used properly )

the 50mm is a superb lens but as john said very restricting. 90% of the time one needs to position themselves to take a shot where as 18-55 u have the flexibility

Vj
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 2:02 AM   #6

Idan,

yes, I'd also echo what the others have said. Get the kit lens. Usually it would work out cheaper to get a "kit" package (lens and body) than separately though, as I'd understand too....

I've got the canon 350D (model before 400D)... it's apparently quite similar. The kit lens is much more useful for you "starting out", as it'sa zoom. And you'll get an idea of what you need (maybe you'll prefer a telezoom lens instead of the 50mm f1.8 ... depending on what you shoot / your style).

Although I have 4 Canon lenses, and the "kit lens" could probably be classified as the "lowest quality", it's true that the kit lens can still produce fantastic results, no tricks, just knowing the lens limits. In bright light, or in dimmer light if you can hold it steady or use a tripod (or something to lean on), then it is still a fantastic lens! Many of the photos I've taken with the kit lens have been classed as "very good" by my friends who've seen them (on screen or printed) or others here on these forums.

I also have the 50mm f1.8, it's a helpful lens to use / practise with (particularlly low light, action freezing (sports if you're quite close to the action) or playing with portraits / shallow depth of field. But as others said, it's not as flexible / beginner-user-friendly as a zoom!

Paul

PS (edit)... please upload / share some photos when you've got your lens and done some shooting!! We'd love to see them. Best regards, Paul

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 9:10 AM   #7

Here is a photo I've taken today with Canon XTi and Canon 50mm 1.8 II please tell me if it is ok ? First DSLR photo !

LINK

Old Nov 9, 2006, 1:44 PM   #8

Idan,

Looks like your new camera and lens are working well together. Well done. Let us see more shots sometime. (I've seen all your 3 "test shots").

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote