Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 15, 2003, 10:29 AM   #1

Default Canon 10D LCD cap

The Nikon D100 have a LCD plastic cap that protect the little lcd screen and i find it very usefull. Question is.... do exist a pastic LCD cap for the Canon 10D?

Thank you.
Franco_Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2003, 10:43 AM   #2
NHL

No, but if you're so worry... There's always those transparent overlay from the PDA's LCDs that's could be cut down to size! 8) 8) 8)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2003, 5:23 PM   #3

I also read on another forum that the plastic cover that you are actually touching is actually a protector. It isn't the screen cover and can be replaced. I don't recall how hard it was, but I don't think it was hard.

How you get the part I have no idea... order from Canon (and pay through the nose) I bet.

I wish it had something too. My nose alway leaves smudges on it!
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 1:17 PM   #4

You might try one of these. Click on the product selector and look for the Canon EOS 10D. I plan to do this when I get one myself when I save up enough to buy a 10D myself.
Currently I have a Sony Mavica FD97 - 2 megapixel with a 1.7x Olympus B-300 teleconverter. It allows me about 650 mm at f2.8 IS. I have used these LCD protectors for about 3 years and they work great!
After some "moonlighting" I plan to go for the 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM. I do a lot of wildlife photography. I will get the standard Canon f1.8 50mm at first along with it. Later I plan to get the 16-35mm f2.8L USM. That way I can get a better handle on the wide angle. The beauty of digital in spite of the 1.6 multiplier on the 10D is that I can stitch photos for panoramas. The multiplier is great for the telephotos! I'd love to have the 600mm f4.0L IS USM, but as a school teacher and with no rich relatives, I'll have to really work to get the stuff I listed above. I think it's going to be a beautiful system though and quite worth the effort!

Mark Urwiller
murwille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 5:22 PM   #5

murwille

I have the 100-400. The only things I can warn about is the quality control. Some people love them and talk about how it is quite sharp and they like its flexability (and weight.) Other talk about how unsharp it is and return it. Make sure you buy it from a place which you can return it if it isn't up to your standards (and get a new one).

As for the 600mm. Sure, I'd love that too, but it is a very heavy lens. The 400mm DO lens + a 1.4x TC will get you close to a 600mm lens, retain AF and be light enough to carry fairly easily. If you do a lot of hiking and want to bring the camera with you, then you will not want to carry the 600mm lens a lot. But if you go places where you can drive to within a mile or so, and walk to the location and setup a tripod and wait... the 600 is an amazing lens.

When you get to the point where you have the money, post something. There are a few of us 10D owners here who can give you some practical advice. (I also own the 50m f1.8, for example.)
Old Jun 16, 2003, 5:51 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice Eric. I had planned to get a 1.4x TC too. I'm not thrilled about how slow that will make the 100-400 mm. Thanks for the heads up on the quality control. I have dealt with B&H Photo in the past. They seem pretty good. Do you have other recommendations on who to buy from and will allow returns if necessary?

Mark Urwiller
murwille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 10:56 PM   #7

Note: I have not purchased from B&H, but I plan too. I have heard nothing but good things about them... ever. They also have an amazing rating on www.resellerratings.com

Everything that I have heard says that B&H is very good and has good prices for the service that you get. To me, this means that you could probably find it for less if you tried, but you might risk hassles or "not good" treatment. But you probably know this from past dealings.

I'm lukewarm on the 100-400 with the 1.4x TC. Mine is softer than I'd like. On a good bright day, you can deal with the slowness. And if you have to, bump the exposure compensation and just correct in photoshop. Not great, but it works. I don't know if I just have high standards or if I should return the lens. I've heard that it works surprisingly well for many people... so it could be QC again, or just me. I'm leaning towards me right now (I know I have high standards.)

As for other stores.... Personally, if they weren't local, I wouldn't consider anything other than B&H. Local has many advantages, as I'm sure you know. But normally you trade slightly higher prices for those benefits. Some times it's worth it (like being able to return a 100-400 same day with no hassle) and some times it isn't.

Eric