Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:03 AM   #1

I have Canon rebel Xti and Canon 50mm 1.8 II and having the red to be too strong does anybody ecnountered any of this ?
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2006, 2:57 PM   #2
Super Moderator

That's how Canon does red. If you don't like it, then turn down the saturation or take it back and get another make.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 3:05 PM   #3

Idan,

I hope you don't mind me being direct. You seem dissatisfied with some aspects of your new camera (e.g. colours, sharpness), but I don't see anything wrong with them. I've got a Canon DSLR and mine performs what I call "well", similar to yours.

It's true often a person needs to get used to the output of a DSLR compared to another type of camera (film, or P&S digital, etc).

Don't try to look to closely imagining things might be wrong... because then one can start to SEE things looking wrong (when they aren't).

I think your camera is doing well. I've seen Nikon cameras (e.g. a friends D50) having much stronger reds (by default) than the Canon's. I don't see that as a glaring problem or "mistake". Just a bit different, but as peri said, it's customizable with settings (in camera and especially after).

I really don't believe your camera is having any problems. Take more photos you enjoy and after a while I believe you'll get used to it and see it's operating quite fine! IMHO...

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 3:35 PM   #4

My problem probably that I wasn looking on too many sigma's SD-10 photos and the sharpness there is unmatched,, but as I browsed on other photos made by people with the same equipment I saw that this photos are sharp, I was just thinking I it was performing with the 18-55mm kit lens, OMG probably a disaster, So I am glad that I bought the 50mm 1.8, next one I want a zoom lens something between 70-300mm or so so I can shoot far objects from far away any suggestions on a good lens (but not an expensive one tough).
Old Nov 11, 2006, 4:17 PM   #5

Idan wrote:
Quote:
something between 70-300mm or so so I can shoot far objects from far away any suggestions on a good lens (but not an expensive one tough).
A good 70-300mm lens that ISN"T expensive? For a person that seems overly critical of your existing gear, you want an inexpensive telephoto lens and will expect incredibly sharp photos. Idan, you need to either change your expectations or save up more money. As it stands, I'm afraid if you purchase a consumer grade telephoto lens you'll spend too much time worrying about how soft the images are.

If you want quality, you must be willing to pay for it - especially with a telephoto zoom lens.

The Canon 70-300 IS lens is a very good consumer grade lens at around $500

Realize though that 300m doesn't really let you shoot 'from far away'. It really isn't as much zoom as you'd think. For instance 300mm is still a little short for many wildlife situations. It just depends on what your subject matter is.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 4:38 PM   #6

Most digital cameras are a bit unnatural with red. That's one area where the foveon sensor (which you are obviously a fan of) does do a bit better.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 7:09 PM   #7

I guess I am too picky, The mission now is to learn photography and take photos, many of them and practice. I was in the zoo today and I was missing the zoom, I've head that Sigma 70-300mm APO is cheap and yet a good lens for its price, what do you think ??

And I want you to look at some picks from the zoo and tell me why I am over exposing and if the sharpness is good for the 50mm lens

LINK
Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:06 PM   #8

select one of the user defined picture style and adjust the sharpness and contrast. May be even saturation.

Mostly i take pictures in RAW and while converting make the neccessary changes and hence i am little affected by over saturation or undersaturation.

send some pictures so that we can see if its normal or ur having some issues

Also the 70-300 APG DG macro Sigma is the cheapest but really good lens available for that price and range. Its sharp till 220-230mm but at 300mm its not that sharp.

But its the best buy for 180bucks. U can find used ones for even 100 bucks. I just picked one for a friend of mine for 100 bucks from fredmiranda.com

Hope this helps

And try taking more pictures with proper exposure and proper settings. I am guessing its the stage of getting used to the new equipment.

thanks
Vj
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote