Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 10, 2006, 1:47 PM   #1

I am a serious amateur looking to switch to a Canon camera. I have researched the5D and the 1D Mark II N. I am looking for adviceas to which camera to purchase. I am doinga lot ofportrait and fashion shoots in a studio as well as outdoors. I am also interested in sports action shots and general outdoorstreet scenes and nature photography.I have a lot of my images blown up to 16x20 or larger.
countryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2006, 4:49 PM   #2

You need to ask this on the Canon forum.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=37
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 1:06 AM   #3

Both of these are great cameras, I have the 5D and don't regret it at all. We like the full frame and 12MP, and the camera is fast enough. The one thing I wish it had is some weather sealing like the 1 series, but it they weather sealed it that would also add to the price. I see it as Canon's way of keeping the two apart. If a full frame sensor is something you want, then the 5D is a no brainer.

If you aren't going to be shooting in wet weather, then the 5D would be my top choice. We're actually in the market for a backup camera and have considered the 1D along with the 30D, which is also a very nice camera that may suite your needs at half the price of a 5D.

One more thing to consider is size, the 1D is much larger than the 5D. We have the battery grip and that brings them close in size, but when you go on vacation, to the city or for a walk, we take the grip off to reduce the size a bit.

Good luck, I think you will enjoy which ever one you select.

Dave

headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 2:01 AM   #4

For what you described I believe the only place the Mark IIn would excel over the 5D would be the sports action, with is faster burst speed.The majority of the type of work you describe Ithink the 5D would be the best choice, and should still be pretty good for sports too. Both cameras will give you great picture quality, well as long as you use quality lenses.The extra MP of the 5Dwouldprobabaly serve you better with the portrait work. But I understandyour struggle with this decision as I have been struggling with it for a while too.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 1:31 PM   #5

thanks for the advice
Old Nov 12, 2006, 1:36 PM   #6

I am looking at the 24-70mm f/2.8 L lens. How does this lens compare at 50mm with the 50mm f/1.8 II lens for picture quality?
Old Nov 12, 2006, 2:19 PM   #7

if u can affort the Mark II please go ahead with that one. U wont regret it. Its a professional camera with weather sealings and exceptionally great focus system. 45 point focus and lots of other features. 5D is good but when compared to Mark II i would pick mark II anyday if i can afford

One is prosumer and the other is professional.

Vj
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote