Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 13, 2006, 11:06 AM   #1

Hi

Between 5D and Ids (11MP) which camera would you chose why.

Currently the 5d after rebate can be bought for 2100 and used 1ds with 10-20K actuations can be bought at 2000-2400 $.

In such a situation what would u choose? why?

just a general discussion topic. So please dont attack me for asking this :G

Vj
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:53 PM   #2
NHL

It depends on what you shoot really:
1. The 1Ds has a better body, AF and battery system, but much heavier though...
2. The 5D has the newer and better sensor and quite light without the battery grip

-> I'll pick the 1Ds just because once you've tried the 45 AF points it's hard to go back, but folks who comes from a 20/30D may be more familiar with the 5D operation... The 1 series need lot more 'fingering' works on the menu, and the custom functions could be overwhelming to personalize...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 2:47 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I think most people would agree that the 5D has slightly better overall image quality, and significantly better at higher ISO.

Apart from that however the 1Ds is a better CAMERA in just about every respect, with very good image quality.

The rest is up to you...
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 1:26 PM   #4

I've been reading lately that the micro mirrors on the 5D are of a different design than the 1Ds family (at least compared to the 1Ds MkII.)

The problem is that you get edge darkening in the 5D that you don't get in the 1Ds because of this. It's clearly not the lens, but really is the camera body. I've read this from a few pro people I know who own both the 5D and the 1Ds MkII. They love the weight and size of the 5D for their long hiking trips, but they've stopped using it after about 4-6 months because of the corner darkening they were seeing.

For those that don't know, this is what I've read about the micro mirrors. The problem is that photosites on the digital sensor require the light to hit at an angle much closer to perpendicular than film does. Since the lenses were made for film, the light angle is acceptable for film but not a digital sensor. This doesn't matter in the center, but at the edges the light comes out of the lens at an angle such that not enough get into the photosite for the sensor to take a measurement. To correct for this, a layer of micro mirrors are put over the sensor to bend the light back to/near perpendicular. The micro lenses on the 5D don't do it as well and therefor there is light fall-off on the 5D.

Now, maybe my friends have really high standards, and this is something that average people can deal with. I don't know.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 4:40 PM   #5

so a 30D with an ultra wide angle lens like 12-24 may yield better result that a 5d with say 16-17mm for landscape and other wide angle areas??

And 5D is a better buy if one has the flexibility to stretch their spending compared to a 30D not just for the cost of the body, but the lenses that one will need with a 5D

simply put, a 5D with third party lens's may not yield the best of results whereas its better in case of 30D where a third party lens can yield pretty good result.

i am a bit off and confused.may be its the jack and coke working on me.

vj
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:51 PM   #6

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
so a 30D with an ultra wide angle lens like 12-24 may yield better result that a 5d with say 16-17mm for landscape and other wide angle areas??

vj
It depends...I just upgraded to a 5D from a 30D...tested both bodieswith a 24-70mm f2.8L lens. I could not tell a damn difference between the two IQ's...the difference became apparent when I started testing for high ISO performance...the 5D won hands down. For the subjects and places I shoot, the 5D's a better fit...so I gave up my 30D. I know I will miss the 30D's faster speed and crop factor, but the benefits of the 5d outweighed the trade-offs...plus I got my 5D for about the same price as my 30D.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 2:11 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Now, maybe my friends have really high standards, and this is something that average people can deal with. I don't know.
I think that there are a great many photographers with very high standards who find the 5D to be an excellent camera. From the samples I've seen (and the owners I've spoken to) it certainly is something that the average professional wedding photographer (and their customers) can live with.

There are lots of trade-offs in sensor design and I suspect that the micro-lens design may be a significant cost issue. At any rate it's a digital camera, and with a decent digital workflow vignetting can be automatically corrected. It might add an extra 0.5 seconds to the time it takes to process an image.

No digital camera is perfect at the moment, they all have their issues. Not every camera suits every photographer - good thing there are so many of them about.

For myself the vignetting is not a deal-breaker, in fact it would hardly even register. In my workflow it would make no difference, and it's a lot easier to correct for automatically than issues that a lot of other cameras have; banding, colour casts, etc.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote