Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:27 AM   #1

I already have my tamron AF 55-200mm F/4-5.6 LD Macro Di-II, and I will mostly use the wide angle lens on my Canon Rebel XTi, so I've decided to buy a Canon more expensive lens instead of buying and replacing after a while, so The range of the 17-85mm is probably good buy I already have my tamron covers the 55-186mm, so I've decided that the 17-40mm will suite me better to fill the gap (not really need 40-55mm) and get a great wide angle lens for my Canon.

What is your opinion guys, I really need your advice on this one, I've read alot of reviews and forums and articles about thos two lenss, And also about the Canon 60mm f/2.8 that I've heard great things about it, But I just can't decide, The difference in the price is not an issue and I can get them in a very good price, so please advice dear friends. :?

note: I realy like to have a very high grade of photo quality

I must add that I've some negative opinions about the 14-70mm L, about softness and dostortions but most of the reviews were positive ones.

Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:38 AM   #2

Both have the strengths and weaknesses. Both lenses have camps of very satisfied customers and somewhat dissatisfied customers. Which one is better depends on your intended use.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:39 AM   #3

I need the wide and want this lens to be the best quality in the 17-40mm price range, does it ahve any competitors?
Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:43 AM   #4

The Canon 17-40 f/4L is a good lens, but the Canon 16-35mm f2.8L USM EF is better in at least one area: it is brighter with the f2.8. Of course, being an L lens its quality and sharpness is virtually unsurpassed for that type of zoom lens.

To save a bit of cash, quite a bit in fact, the 17-40 is a good buy and should serve you well!

Just remember, in general, zooms are not "quite" as tack-sharp as non zooms, but I bet you will not notice the difference with either of the two Canons! (Only how light yourwallet has become!)
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:50 AM   #5

Tack sharp or not, I've decided that I become very spoiled from the time I enjoyed watching photos albums of small size print produced from film cameras, so I know that sharp is good enough for me.

Sample1
Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:04 PM   #6

I'll go with the 17-40mm L, looked at photos taken with them and amazed woth the quality, hope that is the wisest decision.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 4:22 PM   #7

tamron 17-50 is sharp. its build quality may not be like a L lens. But its decently build. and excellent border resolution.

Its 150 dollors cheaper(after rebate for canon) and its a worth competetor.

Its fast at F2.8 and its 50mm at tele end.

Vj
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 5:32 PM   #8

so a third party lens can beat canon's 'L' lens in the same category - So what's the fuss about thse lenses anyway, maybe I should buy Tamron 17-35mm Di ?? Dam, So hard to decide
Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:55 PM   #9

i have a lots of third party lens's. Tamron 17-50 is absolutely sharp.

this one with no PP. Straight from camera, shot in raw and converted.

Vj
Attached Images

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 10:35 AM   #10

there are wierd repeating shapes in your photos and the quality is not good at all