Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 16, 2006, 2:37 PM   #1

Here is another picture that doesn't seem to be as sharp as it should be. I tried to send another pic with this one but it failed to go thru because of size. What is the proper size to send? Need help, I'm getting really frustrated.
Attached Images

fingo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2006, 6:10 PM   #2

I see that people have looked at my photo I posted. Could you please comment about the sharpness and clarity. I can't get them sharp enough with Canon software. I need some helpful advice. Thanks.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 6:33 PM   #3

I seen no EXIF data and you did not list camera/lens used. To me, this is a very nice photo.

Hereon my work computer , it appears to be fairly sharp. However, If you run an unsharp pass (PhotoShop), it pops with sharpness. The same is true if you add a bit of contrast.

Remember, photos taken with wide open lenses in darkish surroundingstend to besoft anyway, due to lens dynamics.

Good photo!
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 6:34 PM   #4

You are using Tamron 18-200mm, what did you expact !, it is not a sharp lens, my friend has it and it is awful lens as far as I see it, that the reason you need to split the focal range usage to 2 or more lenses.

The sharpness in your photo is good, ofcourse the olympus will take better photos than your tamron (sharper) it is optimized for a small sensor and the optical advantage of their lenses vs your tamron is superior.

Thats the reason I dumped my kit lens and bought the Tamron 55-200mm sharpness in this lens is great almost all range and the Canon 17-40mm will probably be as good in term of sharpness etc.

Unless you want only one lens on your dslr, consider replacing it with better optic lens. Your lens is a good vacation lens and if I'll go to a vacation I probably woudn't take a bag of lenses, just one most usefull lens. Why did you choose to buy this lens anyway, I am interested, Did you read reviews about it before you bought it ??

Some helpful links: CLICK , CLICK2

Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 9:49 PM   #5

Hi, thanks for the reply. I took it with a Canon Rebel xt with a Canon prime f/1.8 lens, I also have a Tamron 18-200 f/3.5-6.3. I'm not at all satisified with the tamron lens:!:I guess I'll have to get Photoshop, because I'm not doing any good with sharpening with the canon software. I'm going to get either a Sigma lens f/2.8 (don't know what focal length yet) or a better canon lens. I ned all the good advice I can get. I love this site.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 9:59 PM   #6

I seen no EXIF data and you did not list camera/lens used. To me, this is a very nice photo

Hi hgernhardtjr, wow hope I got that name right:!:Thanks for the compliment of my photo. I wrote a reply to you but it came in down the page from where I wanted it to. I stated what camera and lens I used, hope you see it. I need to learn how to do things on my computer also.Like how people restate something someone writes to them, I think it comes in a white box, then they reply. Thanks again
Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:57 PM   #7

Hi Idan, yes you are totally right, the tamron lens is not very good at all:!:I bought the rebel xt body only and wanted a lens to keep on camera to eliminate dust. That was a dumb decision. No, I didn't read any reviews on the lens and that won't happen again:!:I have purchased Canon f/1.8 prime lens and that is the one I took the photo with that you looked at, I think. I want to be able to take really high quality photos like are exhibited in this forum. Mytechnique may need some work, but I want the camera and lens to give me the best chance for high quality results. Therefore, I think I'll buy a better lens. The big question is what one to buy. Thanks for your reply.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:00 PM   #8

Hi hgernhardtjr, could you send mea copy of my photograph that you sharpened in Photoshop. I am interested in seeing what can be done. Thanks
Old Nov 17, 2006, 8:16 AM   #9

Darn, I hate typos ... "I seen" ... makes me sound like a Hillbilly from West Virginia!

Rather than re-post the entire photo, I took a portion of it and simply ran the Unsharp filter. The one with the mostis really over-sharpened. But it gives you an idea of what you can accomplish in a good photo editing package like PhotoShop CS2 (which I own and use at home)or Elements 5. Since I am at work this morning, I had to use PhotoShop 7 which does not have all the nicer features like Smart Sharpen found in CS2.

Hope this helps!

OH, ON EDITafterreading all the posts again:to get the quote you asked about in an earlier post, simply push the QUOTE button instead of the REPLY button to make your reply ... that puts thepost you are replying to into your reply.

ALSO, Page 64 of your XT manual shows you how to set sharpness ... slide the slider toward the plus sidefor more sharpness. If it is an XTi, "7" is the sharpest setting.

Attached Images

hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:01 AM   #10

I agree with hgernhardtjr

The key is simply using USM. Canon DSLRs by their nature do not apply a lot of sharpening (in fact I turn all my in-camera sharpening off). The idea is simple: DSLRs were originally designed for advanced users who want more control. I would strongly encourage you to use USM rather than in-camera sharpening, but if you must, you can always bump up the sharpening applied in-camera.

Without EXIF I have no idea what settings were used. But you also have to realize if you're shooting at 1.8 you're going to have a very shallow depth of field - so much of a photo can appear soft. AND, just about every lens is softer wide open than stopped down.

But in summary I think that if you're shooting at 1.8 with default in-camera sharpening the sharpness of the original looks about right. Applying USM is the best approach.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote