Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 17, 2006, 3:12 AM   #1

Hi everyone,

I finally sold my 300D last week and I am now looking to purchase 400D or Rebel Xti (400D is what they call in Asia). How do you guys like your camera?

Currently I am considering 30D and Xti, I can use the extra money if I get Xti to buy lenses or battery grip. 30D however is a much bigger camera and very good built compared to Xti which feels like a toy to me.

still confused whether or not to buy Xti, but please give me some insight!

Thanks,

Casey
rally123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:05 AM   #2

Casey,

What do you want to use the camera for? That will determine whether the 30d's feature set is required.

Beyond that, as you mentioned, the build quality and ergonomics are very different. Those are also very individual requirements. I, personally don't llike the Rebel line build quality - I started with a 300d and upgraded to the 20D. I did so because of feature set but also build quality and ergonomics. I just don't like the small size and cheap feel of the entry level Canon cameras. But other people find those exact same attributes are a POSITIVE for them. They like a smaller, lighter camera. It's why Canon has both.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:26 AM   #3

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. I mainly use this when I travel, so actually the xti's size is a plus because I can carrya lighter camera. the grip however is really small and its annoying when I tried at a local shop. In terms of shooting performance, can the xti produce quality image just as in 30D?

If I can save some money to get the xti, it would be nice since I can also purchase higher end lenses.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:40 AM   #4

rally123 wrote:
Quote:
In terms of shooting performance, can the xti produce quality image just as in 30D?

If I can save some money to get the xti, it would be nice since I can also purchase higher end lenses.
Absolutely it can produce quality images. But, you have to be comfortable using it or it will just end up gathering dust. Have you tried any of the other entry level DSLRs - Nikon D50, and now the D40, pentax K100 or Sony Alpha? Their ergonomics may be more to your liking. All of them are capable of producing excellent images.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:24 PM   #5

Thanks again John!

Actually I am very interested in the Sony Alpha or Nikon D80. However, I have 3 lenses from Sigma that fits a canon at the moment and will have to sell these 3 lenses prior to jumping into another brand.

Here in Asia, I find it difficult to find Sony Alpha's lens unless I go to Singapore. Nikon 80D would be the same story, I will have to sell all the lenses..... Is it worth the trouble? hahaha, im in such dilema.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 3:17 AM   #6

Getting back to your question , 'Are owners satisfied with the 400d'.
I've had mine for a little over a month and I'm very impressed.
I bought the body only and a Sigma 17-70 lens. This combination is giving great results.
The only fault I can honestly find is the grip, which is, as you and everyone else points out, way to small.
This can easily be remedied by adding the battery grip. Go for the Merkury or Opteka
one on Ebay. It's identical to the Canon grip and about half the price.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 5:56 AM   #7
NHL

rally123 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks again John!

Actually I am very interested in the Sony Alpha or Nikon D80. However, I have 3 lenses from Sigma that fits a canon at the moment and will have to sell these 3 lenses prior to jumping into another brand.

Here in Asia, I find it difficult to find Sony Alpha's lens unless I go to Singapore. Nikon 80D would be the same story, I will have to sell all the lenses..... Is it worth the trouble? hahaha, im in such dilema.
Have you checked the Pentax line? They now have two dSLR models (6 and 10Mp) with built-in IS like the Sony, but could use all the Pentax lenses ever made which should be less of an issue... Folks in the Pentax forum seem to really like them...

Getting back to the 400D - If you find the grip too small you can "increase" it by getting the optional grip that mount to the bottom of the camera, sort of on demand size/weight adjustment whenever need it

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 10:22 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies Stranger and NHL. Today I went to a local camera shop and to say the least I am actually impressed with the Xti! This is a much more refined camera compared to my old rebel. After trying to mate the camera with my sigma 24-70 f/2.8 it seems that grip is not much of an issue. A battery grip would be nice though to balance the weight. Looks like the xti would be a nice upgrade option for me.

About Pentax, I read about the new k100D, seems like a nice camera but again in Asia buying lenses other than Canon and Nikon seems to be quite tough, unless I travel to Hong Kong or Singapore. I can't even test a pentax camera on a local shop since most dont have it in stock! Nonetheless I will look harder and see if I can compare the two.

Thanks again!
Old Nov 19, 2006, 12:05 PM   #9

satisfied 100% !!!
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 3:40 PM   #10

I'm very happy with mine.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote