Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 18, 2006, 1:39 PM   #1

Hey guys,

Im looking into a 30d, im going to be mainly shooting mountainbiking, snowboarding and skateboarding. I will be shooting some low light shots but not many. Is this camera going to suite my needs? although I am not a verry experienced photographer i have some experience and am looking for something to "grow into"

thanks,

chris
chrissch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2006, 5:31 PM   #2

Chris,
Though I am far from "experienced", I have recently added the EOS 30D along with BG-E2 battery grip to my otherwise aging camera collection. I spent years with my Nikon 2020 (35mm) taking thousands of photos and then started playing with digital. The 30D is the first "real" digital and I am enjoying it. For me, there is alot to learn about the dSLR but I can say it seems to truely be a camera to grow into.

Basically, out of the box you can get used to some of the many functions using fully automatic features. For me, that gave me a way to learn some of the very basics of the camera. It also made realize that for the amount of indoor family functions I needed to purchase a better flash. I went with the Canon Speedlite 580EX (another item to learn the many ways of using it) and at the same time ordered a Gary Fong's Lightsphere II as well as a much smaller diffuser. I am still weighing the vast array of choices in lenses and find that confusing (just me I guess).

So far, I love the camera and have no regrets. This is a mid-life hobby for me so I have my own reasons for pursueing it. I cannot believe you will regret the 30D.

Best of luck,
Steve
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 7:06 PM   #3

I'm assuming you've got the budget, so this would be my suggestion:

Canon 30D, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 lenses. This combo is very versatile for sports, night shot, and portrait. You may be able to get away with this combo for landscape shots as well. If you wanna save some money yet still get this combo, get them used. fredmiranda.com's Buy & Sell forum is a very good place to get quality used gear. This is where I've gotten most of mine...I go there first before going to ebay.

If you get 'em used these are their going prices at fm:

30D -$925

Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 - $370

Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 - $550 to $600

If you wanna save even more, get the 20D instead of the 30D...they go for about $650 to $700. If you don't need the 30D's spot metering or the larger LCD display, then the 20D is the way to go...it has all the features of the 30D except those two.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 7:09 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum.

The basic answer is yes. I had a Konica Minolta 5D for a year but for the amount of sport I shoot it was not man enough as I really needed 5 frames per second (fps) as well as faster auto focus which the 30D provides.

Lenses will be the next thing to look at and this is where it will begin to get expensive (does not matter which camera body you go for).For skateboarding and some snowboarding shots the Canon 10-22mm or the Sigma 10-20mm lenses will give you great wide angle shots. You can get away with the Canon 18-55mm kit lens or the better 17-85mm IS lens but these are not as wide as I would like if shooting extreme sports close up on a regular basis. Then there is the the longer end where you could do witha 70-200mm f2.8 lens which will give you fast focus and good shutter speeds even in lower light. This is my main sport lens (I use the sigma flavor but theCanon lens is also worth looking at if you have the extra cash) as it has a good range and coupled with a 1.4x teleconverter then you get an even better selection. You can go for more basic lenses such as the Canon 75-300mm or Sigma/Tamron 70-300 options but focus speeds are not as good, not as good in low light and the depth of field is going to be deeper which will not allow you to separate your subject from the background.

I hope this helps to answer the question and make you think about the total package.In general acheaper body with better glass (lens) will give a better result than a really expensive body with cheap glass.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 7:10 PM   #5
Super Moderator

LOL AlpineMan and I were writing at the same time. Yes the Tamron 17-50 is also a good option. I personally use the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 as my walk around lens.

Have a look at http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=82where I posted some ski/snowboard shots a while ago with the 30D and Sigma 70-200 f2.8

You might also find an external flash helpful when shooting action in lower light. The Canon 580EX is probably the best choice if you can afford it, if not look at the 430EX or one of the Sigma options.

Old Nov 18, 2006, 7:59 PM   #6

Mark1616
I have heard before that the 30D has faster auto focus as you indicated in your reply.

Is the faster autofocus realizable advantage?

I have a poor yield on my sports shots because of frequent poor or delayed focus. See my posts from earlier today.

I have tried shooting in the manual mode for shutter speed and aperture but still get mixed results. Any suggestions?

coachjerry
coachjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 3:38 PM   #7

Hey thanks alot for youre help. I purchased the 30d yesterday and so far so good.
chrissch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 5:54 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Good news Chris, I'm sure you will enjoy it and I look forward to seeing your shots.

Coach, I'm not too sure about the focus difference between the 20 and 30. JohnG uses a 20D and his results are great. What lens do you use with the 20D as this could be the biggest difference?
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:04 AM   #9

Mark1616
I use a canon 70-200mm f 2.8 lens.
On my focus respone thread earlier, JohnG and NHL have suggested that my problem may be because the camera operates in shutter priority while in the AI Servo focus mode such that the camera shoots the picture immediately upon pressing the shutter release and before focus is achieved. In One Shot focus mode, the shutter won't release until focus is achieved. I will probably continue to shoot in AI Servo but will try to allow focus to be achieved before fully depressing the shuttter release--apparently I need to work on my technique while using AI Servo.

Coachjerry
coachjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:08 AM   #10
Super Moderator

That's cool. I do find that if I have not given the camera chance to 'lock on' then the first one is out but then is usually OK. Also if you are working where you need to use ISO 1600 or 3200 then there can sometimes increased focus issues as there is not enough light to see the contrast in the image which will also cause problems. The best thing you can do is take additional shots in marginal light and also try to get as much of the frame filled as possible with the subject.

Mark