Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 19, 2006, 1:46 PM   #11

Coachjerry,

When I shoot night football I do use Manual mode. However you have to be aware that unless you have corner lights in the endzones you'lre going to see a significant light fall-off inside the 20 yard line. So, while I shoot manual I adjust it as I move into the red zone.

As to the 30d having an auto-focus advantage. The question is: over what? I believe it's the same system as used in the 20d and now the XTi. Autofocus and more notibly predictive focusing is better in the 1-series - it's one of the big benefits over the xxd series. As compared to other brands? I haven't read or heard any evidence that Canon's AI is better than Nikon and those are the top 2 players in sports shooting.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 9:34 PM   #12

JohnG
I was interested in the 30D auto focus speed relative to the 20D's. I had heard it was noticable faster.

Coachjerry
coachjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 10:26 PM   #13
NHL

coachjerry wrote:
Quote:
Regarding the flash, sometimes it is on and sometimes not--I have been experimenting with this. I have shot football at night without it but am of the opinion there has been some help on shorter range shots. Also I beleive I get better results if I shoot at speeds greater than 1/250--which is why I sometimes use hi speed sync on the flash. By the way all the football games I cover are at night and some high school field lighting is better than others.
High-Speed Sync is a special mode and is not really designed for high-speed photography - For example @ the same 1/250s shutter speed the regular GN is 55, but is cut to 27.5 when in HSS mode (i.e the output power is cut in 1/2) and is reduced lower as the shutter speed increase (check page 121 of your 550EX manual for other shutter speeds)... so the maximum distance is not contant but will vary with the shutter speed used as the flash fire smaller and smaller strobocospic burst to keep up with the narrower and narrower traveling shutter slit:
http://webs.lanset.com/rcochran/flash/hss.html

I'm also all set for using fill-flash however when used in artificial light (instead of daylight), you have two different temperature colors fighting for one another so be careful - Notice the yellow cast? The 550EX will fight back with blue instead... which will be even more apparent with indoor ceiling lights

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:47 PM   #14

NHL
Thanks for your comments.

By the way, it was good to hear from you again.

coachjerry
Old Nov 20, 2006, 3:24 PM   #15

I just wanted to second NHL's comments (like I often do.)

The range of a flash in HSS is not nearly as far as you might think and I'd be very surprised if it matched the 25 yards that JohnG mentioned.

Also, the way the flash works is different depending on which mode you are in. In Av the flash is assumed to be a fill flash and therefor uses less power... this means it will recharge faster but might cause trouble when in the red zone (like JohnG said, there is often less overhead lighting there.) In other modes (P, Tv, M) the flash is assumed to be the dominate light source and the camera tries to use it at a stronger power. If you really want to do that, you might want to consider getting a battery pack for the flash as it would enable much faster recharge and make it recover faster from larger flash bursts.

From what I read, which is limited, the 30D's AF is the same as the 20D. But quite honestly I purchased the 1D MkII N earlier this year and now use my 20D as a backup. I haven't looked that closely at the 30D but I've read the AF system is the same.

I've heard varying debate about how Nikon can work in focus-priority or shutter-priority mode (higher end cameras have a custom function for it.) Canon can't. Some want Canon to add this custom function, but from what I've read it won't happen.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 4:40 PM   #16

erics
Thanks for the input.
Coachjerry