Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 19, 2006, 7:13 PM   #1

So far I am impressed with the 580EX yet I have a question for those also owning one. When you open the battery cover, does it seem to catch as you work the hinge? The first step opening is to slide it and mine feels okay. However, the second step is swinging the cover on its hinge and mine feels as if it snaps. Not a smooth action and I am wondering if this is the design and they all open in this manner or is mine defective.
Thanks for your input.
Steve
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2006, 9:10 PM   #2

Yep ... bugs me, also. Feels like I'm gonna break it., though it has not broken yet. I do try to be careful with it, just in case.

So very unlike my older and non-Canon flashes' battery compartments. A great flash, nonetheless!
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 3:27 PM   #3

I own the 550EX, and it is the same way. Bugs me every time I open it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 6:28 PM   #4

Thanks. It makes me feel better knowing I won't have to send it back for replacement. As I stated, I really like the unit but thought there was something wrong with the battery cover.
Steve
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 3:01 PM   #5

I own the 420 and it's the exact same thing. Feels like it should break the next time I use it, but hasn't yet. Sure would be nice to see a design change in the models to come...
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 4:57 PM   #6
Super Moderator

I think that it is common with quite a few flash manufacturers and not just Canon. I have the HS3600 for my Konica Minolta 5D as well as the 580EX for my 30D and they all seem to be the same so no need to worry (btw it bugs me too but I'm sure there is a good reason:?:?:?)
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 5:54 PM   #7

i have the 580 and it does catch. i would think they designed it that way to keep the batteries from falling if its accidentally opened.
ekek888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2006, 12:52 PM   #8

ekek888 wrote:
Quote:
i have the 580 and it does catch. i would think they designed it that way to keep the batteries from falling if its accidentally opened.
Thats probably the reason but even so my heart falls instead of the batteries every time I open the door.

Bob
inness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 4:21 PM   #9

Hi All, I have the 430EX and just wanted to let you all know........Smooth......I love it!!!!
wrams is offline   Reply With Quote