Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 18, 2003, 8:12 AM   #1

Default Apeture and Shutter Priority modes in Canon 10D

I'm an "old school" amatuer photographer. Auto to me means that auto exposure on my Canon AE-1 can be set at Apeture or Shutter and I can manually adjust the apeture or shutter speed and the other value is automatically set by the camera. I tried this with my newly purchased Canon 10D. I was surprised that even though I set the camera to shutter priority with a shutter speed setting of 1/125, many of the photos (especially close ups) were taken at 1/30 or less. More the half the photos were useless because of camera shake. Luckily this was at a graduation with a professional photographer in attendance. I plan on using the camera at weddings so I need to resovle this issue. Bottom line is what setting should use use with the newer digital cameras to ensure that the shutter speed chosen is actually used? LENS used (28 - 200 zoom/40 - 300 film equivalent no Image Stabilization).
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2003, 9:08 AM   #2

If you use the shutter priority mode (S) or Aperture priority mode (A) in the 10D, it should works and behave the same way on your old Canon AE-1, you choose the shutter speed and the camera will automatically select the aperture for correct exposure in S mode, the same way in A mode, you select the apeture and the camera will select the shutter speed. There is the full auto mode, when you use this mode, the camera selects both shutter speed and apeture for proper exposure, this mode also select the AF for you. THe P mode work almost the same, but on this one you can select the AF point, this mode is the same as the P mode on the Canon AE-1 program.

When you select the S mode, the shutter speed should remain constant as the value that you choose, the camera will want you if it thinks the exposure will result in under or over exposure, in that case you may have to change the shutter speed to lower or higher value until the warning stop. If you choose any shutter speed less than 1/60 or less than the focal length of the lens, it is recommended that you should use a tripod, the Canon lens with IS feature is really helpful in some low light situations with handheld shots.

Please check you setting on your camera again, I do not think you used the S mode, I think you use either the P, A or full auto mode.

Good luck
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 9:18 AM   #3

I only use Tv and Av modes. It sounds like you were in the wrong mode (they are on next to each other on the dial, after all.) It has worked perfectly for me, exactly as tuanokc described.

There is a very simple test you can do. Look at the EXIF data in the pictures and see what mode you were using. Look for the field "Exposure Mode". I just double checked two of my picutures. The ones last night were "Program" (correct) and the ones from Sunday were "Av-priority" which is also correct.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 9:28 AM   #4
NHL

Well...

In the 10D there's a safety shift to prevent anyone from screwing up their exposure! :lol:

Unless C.Fn-16 is disabled, the camera will shifted automatically to obtain a proper exposure (Av or Tv)... from the manual:
Quote:
If the subject brightness changes suddenly and the current shutter-priority AE or aperture-priority AE setting becomes unsuitable, the shutter speed or aperture is shifted to obtain a proper exposure
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 9:16 PM   #5

Thanks! That was it. I was pretty sure that I had been able to shot with whatever priority value I had chosen before. Now I remember setting the value Cfn 16 setting to enable. All of the pictures I took were taken in the tv (time value) mode.

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote