Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 28, 2006, 3:56 PM   #21
Super Moderator

We will have to wait and see but it has a good start.I just hope they have made lens improvements over the original 18-200 but assuming they have and with the OS it has the potential to be a good all rounder.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 3:59 PM   #22

I'll be watching for reviews and will post links as I find them. Right now all I really found were many versions of Sigma's press release.

Given that it was released in late September, I wonder how quickly it'll hit the market.

dg
dg27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 4:09 PM   #23
Super Moderator

I have just emailed Sigma UK for a launch date and to see if they have any further information on it. I will post it here when they get back to me. However I don't think that Sigma are a company who hold things off too long.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 4:11 PM   #24

That's great--thanks.

dg
Old Nov 30, 2006, 4:14 AM   #25
Super Moderator

Here is the reply from Sigma

Dear Sir
Unfortunately at present we have no more specs on the new OS 18-200mm lens. Japan have informed as it will be available worldwide early 2007 ( we think Feb but cannot guarantee).
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]Kind Regards[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]Gary Rutter[/align]
[align=left]Sigma Sales Dept[/align]
[align=left]Sigma Imaging UK[/align]
Old Nov 30, 2006, 4:19 AM   #26

Mark:

Thanks for the follow-up. I'm a bit bummed because I'll be traveling to Brazil the first week of March--doesn't sound like this will be available by then. [Was hoping to get something suitable right away so I could start learning how to use this camera.] Thinking I may go for the 17-70mm you recommended.

dg
Old Dec 8, 2006, 1:44 PM   #27

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
There is another option which is a little more expensive, but I think may be worth considering.

Canon 17-85 IS USM.
Canon 70-300 IS USM.

The important thing here is that they both have Image Stabilisation and they both have the fast and quiet USM focus motor with full time manual override.

They are both very respectable optically, and combined with the XTi would make an excellent 2-lens solution for alll-round photography.
The 400D is in my top 3 for my 1st dSLR, though the K100D is falling quickly (http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=87). Does anyone have other suggestions for lens combos? This is close to what I was thinking (though a slightly shorter tele).

Someone suggested earlier just playing with the kit lens for a while before deciding what to get. But compared to the lens that comes with the D80 (for example) it is a bit weak. Would it make sense to buy just the 17-85 first and then decide? I'm a tad less price sensitive, but don't want to waste money either.

Thanks.
painintheuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 5:41 PM   #28

painintheuk wrote:
Quote:
The 400D is in my top 3 for my 1st dSLR, though the K100D is falling quickly (http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=87). Does anyone have other suggestions for lens combos? This is close to what I was thinking (though a slightly shorter tele).

Someone suggested earlier just playing with the kit lens for a while before deciding what to get. But compared to the lens that comes with the D80 (for example) it is a bit weak. Would it make sense to buy just the 17-85 first and then decide? I'm a tad less price sensitive, but don't want to waste money either.
17-85 IS is a very good lens and will be great for walkaround lens. I have Sigma 17-70mm and it isanother good choice.
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 10:50 AM   #29

I checked back with Sigma regarding this lens and here's the reply I rec'd this morning.
[From googling I've done recently it seemed as if it's already available in Canada, but this would seem to indicate that it's not.]
Code:
This lens should start shipping some time this spring.  We do not
have any more info at this time.  We will make a announcement on our web
site when more info becomes available.  

Thank you,

Rory O'Donoghue

Customer service/technical assistance

Sigma Corporation of America