Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 23, 2006, 8:11 AM   #1

I am wanting some suggestions on where to set the Metering mode to. Where do I need to have it set for indoor sports? Would the setting need to be different for outdoor sports?

Evaluated, Partial, or Center weighted?

What setting do you use?

RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2006, 8:51 AM   #2

I prefer partial metering but partial or center-weighted is going to be better for sports IMO than evaluative. In sports you just aren't as concerned with exposing the background correctly - it's all about properly exposing your subject - typically a person. But, here's the thing - even in partial or center-weighted the meter in the camera can often get it wrong. Canon's metering system is geared towards protecting highlights so it will frequently underexpose skin tones by up to 2/3 a stop if you have white in the frame.

More often than not, what I'll do indoors is start off in Av mode and take some test shots of a player warming up - I'll use EC to get the face exposed properly (looking at histogram - making sure it's balanced or pushed to the right slightly). Then I'll take those settings and set the mode to manual and use them.

Staying in Av mode is dangerous - because let's say you focus on a player with a white jersey and take a shot. Then the next shot you focus on a player with a very dark jersey and take a shot - you'll get a very different meter from the camera. But what hasn't changed - the faces. You want to expose for the faces, not the jerseys - so AV mode can be dangerous.

When shooting indoors you just have to pay attention for different areas of the floor that have less or more lighting so you can adjust your exposure when you shoot in those areas.

So really, if you do it this way - it doesn't matter what metering mode you use - it could be any of the three - I just happen to use partial because that's my default for other types of photography. But for sports, you'll end up getting the best results by shooting manual exposure.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 10:40 AM   #3

That brings up another question. On sports what is the best Aperture? I have a 2.8 lens. Is it best to shoot at 2.8 or down a little if the light lets me?
Old Nov 23, 2006, 11:20 AM   #4

Unless you are specifically trying for more DOF, shoot wide open. You'll have to work on your focus technique to get it accurate but 90% of your shots should be wide open to get best possible subject isolation. Again, unless your goal is to have multiple subjects in focus.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 12:25 PM   #5

Anyone else have any insight on how they use their metering settings. Sounds like JohnG has a good idea that seems to work. I like the idea of manual after shooting a few shots, it seems to make a lot of sense. I will be trying it this weekend. Any other suggestions to try? Your preferred meter mode ect...