Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 30, 2006, 4:38 AM   #1

As the owner of a 60 GB Video iPod, I can say from experience that no matter how careful one is, the screen does tend to get a little bit scuffed in everyday use.

Having just bought the Canon Rebel XTi last week the thought crossed my mind that I want to be sure I find some way of protecting the screen. I noted that the screens on my iPod and the XTi are virtually identical in size, so I figured I'd search for something suitable @ iPod accessory stores.

Much to my surprise, I just found this:

http://www.clarivue.com/detail.asp?k...Canon_EOS_400D

This is a nonadhesive, removable screen saver.

Has anyone used anything like this?

dg

dg27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2006, 8:30 AM   #2

Yes, they work. But I usually just get a bulk-pack of PDA coversor similar atOffice Depot or WalMart when they are on sale and simply cut them to the correct size. A lot cheaper!

Still don't know if they use static cling or a light adhesive, but they work just fine— I use them on mydSLR cameras'LCD panels primarily because of getting greasy nose prints on them when looking through the finder and secondarily to protect them from being inadvertently scratched by my glasses.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 9:00 AM   #3

Great--thanks.

[The first time I saw a nose print on the screen I said "uh-oh, this isn't good."]

dg

Old Nov 30, 2006, 1:09 PM   #4

check out "da protector" by da products. The best protector you can get for my money. It is hard scratch resistant plastic that not only protects your screen from scratches but also from impact. Another advantage over the PDA type film protectors, it is very clear, you have no air bubbles to deal with, and they last forever. At $6 each they are hard to beat. I have one on all 4 of my cameras.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 3:18 PM   #5

Caboose:

I just emailed them to find out if they make one for the XTi [or whether it's a custom item].

Thanks!

dg
Old Nov 30, 2006, 5:00 PM   #6

I bought some of the cling type and cut to size for my XT. It doesn't solve my greasy nose problem.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 5:17 PM   #7

dr_spock:

I have the same problem. Maybe we should cut these shields to fit our noses!!:?

dg
Old Nov 30, 2006, 7:00 PM   #8

Just wanted to chime in and remind everyone that the LCD plastic cover you are protecting is a piece of plastic that protects the REAL LCD screen inside.

So effectively you're wanting to protect the protective covering.

It's also a 10 dollar part from Canon directly, and is a replacement job you can do on your own.

-tlmiller10
Tim Miller Photography
http://tmillerphoto.com
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 9:13 PM   #9

tlmiller10 wrote:
Quote:
Just wanted to chime in and remind everyone that the LCD plastic cover you are protecting is a piece of plastic that protects the REAL LCD screen inside.

It's also a 10 dollar part from Canon directly, and is a replacement job you can do on your own.
That may be true, but I don't want to be taking my camera apart every few months to replace it, when for $6 I can protect it with a scratch resistant product that is crystal clear and also protects it from impact.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 9:20 PM   #10

Caboose wrote:
Quote:
tlmiller10 wrote:
Quote:

That may be true, but I don't want to be taking my camera apart every few months to replace it, when for $6 I can protect it with a scratch resistant product that is crystal clear and also protects it from impact.
I love Da Products, no arguement there, just pointing out some useful information.
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote