Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:09 PM   #11

I usually use 2GB cards but keep running out of space. Need to buy some 4GB ones, as they are getting cheaper now.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:36 PM   #12

I have had great success with cards from Crucial. Their 4 GB cards are currently $102.99 with free shipping.

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...MODULE=CT4GBC1

dg
dg27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 12:21 AM   #13

I feel the exact same way you do, scotiez. I have the same 4GB card for my XTi and a few spare 1GBs just in case.
alister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 4:02 PM   #14

You can reduce the chance of corruption if you do this:
- When you're done shooting copy the files to your computer however you want (from the camera, or an external card reader.) Note: I said "copy" and I mean it. Don't "move" the files, copy them!
- Confirm that they have copied correctly (by viewing some.)
- Put the card back into your camera (if necessary)
- Format the card in the camera when you want to delete the images. Do not "delete them" using your camera. Format the card.

This will keep the FAT table fresh and un-corrupted. And therefor your chance of loosing a file is very small. I've never lost a file in 4 years of shooting (and that is 10,000+ images easily.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:55 PM   #15

Thanks Eric ... I will do that from now on. I have always just deleted them from the camera after i copy them from the camera to the compuer. I will format the card from now on.
scotiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 5:28 PM   #16

I use a 4 gig card all of the time. Most of my photography is of action sports. Mostly football. One and 2 gig cards get used up too fast for me when I'm on the football field. I miss too many shots using a 1 gig card because I end up taking many pics per second on some plays

I only use a sandisk ultra II cards. After they are full I always format. Never a problem with them.
JETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 8:27 AM   #17

I'd just like to add to this with some advice about an ebay seller...Who is selling sandisk 8gb extreme III Compact flash cards.....There fake a mate bought one and it was 4gb and the sticker wasn't stuck on properly and when he peeled it off it was a make he's never heared of!!!

Be careful when buying cards from ebay theres alot of FAKE's on there!!!
wrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 11:25 AM   #18

Great advice about eBay. Just google "fake sandisk cards" and you'll get all of the info you need. When I ran across this I decided to buy my cards only at B&H. Dealing with the mess of fake cards isn't worth the cheap price for me.
JETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 1:58 PM   #19

i just bought the 2gb version of lexars pro wa 133x , write accelerated .

wow. i had a sandisk ultra II and have to say the lexar blows it away in speed terms. noticable speed in in camera writes and transfers to my pc over usb are also alotfaster. access thru my card reader seems almost instant.

just thought id add my thoughts on this as size matters but its nice if there fast too. :|
drewp21 is offline   Reply With Quote