Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:26 PM   #1

I recently purchased a 4 gigabit card for my rebel XT. I kept running out of space with a 1GB. How many of you have a 4GB card in your camera? I wanted a big card so i don't have to swap it out unless i happen to get it full, then i have the 1GB on standby just in case.
scotiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2006, 6:46 PM   #2

I have 5 1GB cards. My feeling is, if I have a card get corrupted I don't loose all my pictures, I still have the pictures on the other 4 cards. I can get about 120 RAW images on a 1GB card with my 20D. So I would assume on a 4GB card I could get 480 images, I would rather loose 120 then 480 images if something went wrong. I know there are a lot of others that feel the bigger the card the better, this is just my comfort zone.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 6:53 PM   #3

I've always stuck with smaller cards, for the reasons Caboose stated, as well as the possibility of losing a card.

dg
dg27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 4:46 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I prefer bigger cards (though my biggest is 2Gb) for the simple reason that I have bent the pins inside the CF slot in my camera more than once taking cards in and out.

I have never actually met anyone who suffered corruption on a CF card, it has certainly never happened to me.

More cards = more chance of losing one. *shrug*

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer - there has to be a balance somewhere.
Even Caboose is using 4x1Gb not 16x256Mb.

Basically I look for the best price/size point. That is probably now on the 4Gb cards. I have a 1Gb card and a 2Gb card. My next one will be 4Gb.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 7:58 AM   #5

peripatetic is right on, there is no right or wrong. He has bent pins so he likes bigger cards, I had one get corrupted so I like the 1GB cards.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 8:32 AM   #6

I've been lucky, as has been peripatetic, but I have seen quite a few posts on other forums as well as Amazon regarding card corruption. I stick with brands I trust, in particular Crucial.

dg
dg27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 6:05 AM   #7

I have had CF card corruption although it has been a long time. I believe it was back when I was using a Kodak camera and it was a frequent occurence. I don't believe it has ever happened to me since I switched to Canon though. I still don't think I'll ever go over a 4GB card because of my Kodak experience. While I have found software that allows me to recover my cards I'd just as soon not have to recover too many photos from a bad card as it is a slow process.

You have to do what you are comfortable doing, chances are you'll never have a problem.
mrcoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 6:02 PM   #8

I had planned to use the 4gig cards as well, but learned that the Canon cameras would not format a card larger than 2 g. I know I can format in my computer, but wanted to be able to use both whenever necessary. I am presently using Ridata cards which are very inexpensive and so far have been quite satisfactory.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 6:31 PM   #9

Which camera is that? (That won't format a 4gb card.) My XT and my XTi will both format my 4gb cards.
mrcoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 8:45 PM   #10

When i put in my new 4GB card i formated it no problem with My XT.
scotiez is offline   Reply With Quote