Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 4, 2006, 3:54 PM   #1

Thanks for the reply, JimC.

What I mean by "evaluative metering combined with partial metering"
is that the EOS 600 is in evaluative metering mode by default ie. you cannot change it. But there is a partial metering button which you can press to take a partial reading. No settings are changed, so you are back in evaluative mode when the button is released.

Ideally, the partial metering button would be combined with exposure lock, which it is not on the EOS 600. You have to half press the shutter release to hold the reading.

Those Digital Rebels you mention sound ideal, but is that just an anomally? Renegade Rebels perhaps!

All in all though, I am most chuffed with my 400D. The ability to check the image exposure on the LCD obviously improves things enormously.

luceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2006, 4:59 PM   #2
Administrator

A complaint you sometimes saw with the first Digital Rebel (EOS-300D) was that even if you were using Evaluative Metering, using the AE Lock in most modes would automatically force Partial Metering.

It's my understanding that this was rectified in the later models (use of AE Lock does not automatically force partial metering, and will lock the meter to what the camera would normally use with Evaluative based on the Active Focus Point).

Evaluative Metering is tied to focus anyway, so it's going to place more weight on your focus point (although any Evaluative Metering System can be a bit unpredictable, since it would be impossible for a camera manufacturer to automatically recognize every conceivable scene and know how *you* want to shoot it).

I wouldn't consider it to be a big deal (not having a button to take a partial metering reading with it set to Evaluative). No camera is perfect and we are a bit spoiled by all of the available options.

I don't shoot Canon (my only Canon is an old Rangefinder that my father handed down to me over 40 years ago). It doesn't even have a built in meter. :-)

IOW, I'm not that familiar with the available metering modes with modern Canon DSLRs and any quirks associated with them.

So, perhaps some Canon shooters will see this thread and offer some insight regarding Canon's design decisions.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 5:17 PM   #3
NHL

Any exposure lock, AE or FEL (Flash Exposure Lock) will use partial metering on a Canon, unless my memory is failing...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 5:27 PM   #4
Administrator

You might be right.

But, I just did quite a bit of digging around "that other forum" and found a discussion thread with a user stating that the newer XT and Xti use the Active Focus point(s) with AE lock in most modes and meter the same way they would with Evaluative after focus lock is achieved (implying that Canon changed it with the newer models and they work differently now).

One way to find out would be some controlled conditions tests with a scene that has enough variance in brightness across the frame to tell.

Then, see if the exposure matches up to what Evaluative would choose or what Partial would choose when you use AE Lock with Evaluative metering.

Old Dec 4, 2006, 5:36 PM   #5
Administrator

P.S.

This poster referenced a table on page 153 of the Rebel XT manual. I haven't looked at it.

Old Dec 4, 2006, 7:38 PM   #6
NHL

See attachment:

Attached Images

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 8:21 PM   #7
Administrator

Well, you got my curiosity up. So, I didlook (downloading the Rebel, Rebel XT and Rebel XIi Manuals).

The page you posted is from the Rebel manual.

If you look at the XT or XTi manuals, it's not the same, andit even has a section in both manuals specifically stating that AE lock is applied to the focus point when usingEvaluative Metering. IOW, it appears that the poster might be correct.

Here is page 152 from the XT manual that the poster referenced when making his comments about Canon changing it in the newer XT and XTi models:

Attached Images

Old Dec 4, 2006, 8:22 PM   #8
Administrator

Here is a section from the following page in the XT manual:
Attached Images