Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 13, 2006, 12:07 AM   #21

My Sigma 500 super will be here tomorrow.

I know that's not a big deal to most of you guys....but I'm excited. I really think it would have helped the other night if I were able to bounce the flash.

Guess I'll have them dress up again!
twkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 5:09 PM   #22

I am far from a flash expert

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"It is easy to overwhelm your subjects with an external flash.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I would also recommend a diffuser for your Sigma. I have the same flash.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The diffuser I have escaes me at the moment but I got it from BH Photo Video for like 20 bucks

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Be sure not to aim an external flash directl;y at your subject, instead bouncing it off a ceiling. You will have to experiment with the bounce angle.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Good luck! I do understand your excitement over the flash!
davidreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 8:44 PM   #23

NHL wrote:
Quote:
PS - I would also use FEL on the subjects skin tone (and turn off the auto WB)...
Thanks for explaining your comments but now this comment got my attention. Do you use spot metering for the skin FEL? And what's thereason forturning off the auto WB?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 10:30 PM   #24
NHL

harana wrote:
Quote:
Do you use spot metering for the skin FEL? And what's thereason forturning off the auto WB?
Spot could work if you want to be selective, but I tend to use partial with both AEL and FEL so it does take a little more of the surrounding into account when metering

I normally set the WB to flash (6000k) or daylight (5200K) with flash since they are very close and of fixed value. This is better than letting the camera do it automatic WB, because depending on what color people wear (or the background), the resulting tint varies all over the place... which creates more work in post-processing (that is if the exposure is correct otherwise the coloring get even worse)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 4:51 PM   #25

NHL, Thanks for good advice. I am still learning and this is helping bit by bit.

twkenny, I hope these questions are relevant to your original post as I wasn't trying to hijack this thread. How is your new Sigma 500 super flash working out?

harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 8:40 PM   #26

Here's a few pointers:

- Generally try to move your subject away from the background. At least three feet and six feet is even better.

- Stand back a little farther away so that your flash doesn't overlight the scene. Usually about 10 feet from your subject is good for the flash built on your camera.

Good luck!

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 2:18 PM   #27

harana wrote:
Quote:
NHL, Thanks for good advice. I am still learning and this is helping bit by bit.

twkenny, I hope these questions are relevant to your original post as I wasn't trying to hijack this thread. How is your new Sigma 500 super flash working out?

I never thought that you tried to "hijack" the thread....thanks though!

To be totally honest....I'm a bit intimidated.... not really by the flash, but by what I need to learn. Sounds silly, huh?

I experimented a bit the other night...my kids are still seeing spots I bet. Some came out okay, some not so good. I'll keep at it though!
Old Dec 15, 2006, 2:20 PM   #28

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Here's a few pointers:

- Generally try to move your subject away from the background. At least three feet and six feet is even better.

- Stand back a little farther away so that your flash doesn't overlight the scene. Usually about 10 feet from your subject is good for the flash built on your camera.

Good luck!

-- Terry
Thanks Terry!