Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:46 AM   #1

I've had a Nikon D50 for almost a year now (coupled with the 18-55 kit lens, the 55-200 to compliment it, and most recently, the 50mm f/1.8 ) and I've been really enjoying it.

I've been looking around lately at new gear, and I'm realizing that all things being equal, Canon lenses seem SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than Nikon lenses (at least at sane price points). and I've been considering selling my D50 kit and moving up to a 20D. I've seen them at Adorama and B&H for $850 - $900 or so, and sometimes a bit less for Canon Factory Refurbished models.

Does anyone have any experience with Canon's refurbished cameras? Additionally, any thoughts about my "switching" plan?

Thanks!

-Danny
Dlatu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2006, 1:30 PM   #2

Unfortunately I can't comment on the quality of referbs, but I own a 20D and generally like it (it has a focusing issue, but its my camera - not all 20D's.)

I will say, though, that it was that price difference in lenses that caused me to pick Canon in the first place. The longer telephoto lenses were all cheaper (aome times by quite a lot of money) with the same quality (and some times they had IS and the Nikon did not have VR.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 3:58 PM   #3

Exactly. I was looking at the Nikkor 12-24, which is around 1200, and heard that Canon sells a 10-22 for about $800. The difference pays for half of a 20D.

I don't need a ton of lenses...ideally, I'd like a 10-22, a 20ish 2.8 and 50mm 1.8, the 18-55 kit lens, a 55-200 or 70-200, decent fisheye, and a 1.4x or 2.0x converter. If I'm saving an everage of just $100 a lens (which is probably a VERY conservative estimate) that $$ pays for a brand new 20D, which is WAY tougher than my D50, shoots 5fps, etc.

However, I'm wondering if perhaps I should let my skill level work it's way up before making such an investment (although initially, I'd do just fine with the kit lens and a 50mm f/1.8 ). I've been thinking about buying a flash (Nikon SB-600), but I hate to put more money into something I already want to sell.

-Danny
Dlatu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote