Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 13, 2006, 4:09 PM   #1

What are good parmeters seetings, contrast, sharpenes, color tone and saturation. What is recommended. I have a Canon Rebel XT for now.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2006, 11:45 AM   #2

The questions you ask about are very picture dependent, so I won't hazard a guess about what is good.

What I will say is that you will want to use the same apertuer, shutter, and whitebalance for each shot in the pano.

What I do with some success is this:
- Figure out quickly which part of the image is the most important.
- Look through the camera at that part of the scene and look at the settings. Maybe even take a test picture and make sure it comes out right (proper exposure.)
- Remember the settings you used to take that picture.
- Put the camera in manual mode and put in those settings from before.
- If you're shooting in jpg (not RAW) then pick a white balance - don't use auto.
- Now take all your pano shots - I would suggest you do it in a portrait orientation and with about 1/3 to 1/2 overlap between each image.

This way you'll have consistent exposure across the entire scene, which makes it look much better. If you're shooting raw figure out what a good white balance is in your RAW converter and then assign it to all the pictures in the pano series.

I know that wasn't what you were looking for, but I hope it helps.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 1:18 PM   #3

What Eric said is correct but, if your not real camera savey, if that is the correct phrase, why mess with the cameras default settings...So far, in my case, each camera I have had, has had good enough settings that I really didnt have to mess with anything...
I have had 4 canons starting with the D30, 10D and 2 20D's...I shoot weddings as well as commercial photography and if I have an issue with a peticular shot, I just use photoshop to fix it...IMO, learn Photo Shop or Photo Shop Elements and leave the camera settings alone...I think you would have more fun being creative with photo shop
rather than playing with camera settings...:G
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 4:40 PM   #4

I do shoot in JPEG and manual mode. Eric why not shoot in auto white balance? I been trying to improve my indoor photo taking. Any sugestions would help. I have a Canon Rebel XT, Canon speedlight 580EX. Indoor light is tough. When in the winter hardley any sun. I live in Juneau, Alaska.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 5:28 PM   #5

Imacer.....
You have a good flash...The 580 has good reviews...One little bit of advise....
Get a flash defuser and try to bounce flash most of your shots...you will be suprised at how nice the shots come out...good even lighting and colors...My wedding photos taken inside changed dramaticly using the defuser...its only about 20 bucks...Unless you have a flash bracket, make sure you always keep the flash over the lens...If you turn the camera to shoot a shot for a portrait you will get a horrible shadow...and one more thing....Flash pictures are pretty much terrible beyond 15 feet...
I was in your town last summer...Didnt get to see all we had plans for because of the fog...Someone said this was a really bad year for fog...We will have to come back...
john
Old Dec 14, 2006, 7:21 PM   #6

I'm sorry, I got my posts mixed up. I thought you were asking about parameters for panoramas. I don't know where I got that idea.

For normal shooting, definitely use auto-white balance. Canon's cameras do a very good job picking a reasonable white balance. If you're trying to sync multiple pictures while shooting JPGs then picking a specific white balance will make that easier. If you rely on auto-white balance, then its possible that it will pick slightly different white balance settings... and separately the images will look fine but side-by-side (like when combining a panorama) the slight color difference will be blatently obvious.

Now, on to the real topic - improving your general shooting.

john is exactly right. One great way to improve indoor photography is to either bounce the flash off the ceiling or use a defuser.

What type of problem are you having? We can't really help you without knowing what the problem actually is. It's kinda like you going to a doctor and saying you don't feel well. The Doc will need to know more before you can truly get help.

Eric
Old Dec 14, 2006, 10:11 PM   #7

eric s wrote:
Quote:
I'm sorry, I got my posts mixed up. I thought you were asking about parameters for panoramas. I don't know where I got that idea.

For normal shooting, definitely use auto-white balance. Canon's cameras do a very good job picking a reasonable white balance. If you're trying to sync multiple pictures while shooting JPGs then picking a specific white balance will make that easier. If you rely on auto-white balance, then its possible that it will pick slightly different white balance settings... and separately the images will look fine but side-by-side (like when combining a panorama) the slight color difference will be blatently obvious.

Now, on to the real topic - improving your general shooting.

john is exactly right. One great way to improve indoor photography is to either bounce the flash off the ceiling or use a defuser.

What type of problem are you having? We can't really help you without knowing what the problem actually is. It's kinda like you going to a doctor and saying you don't feel well. The Doc will need to know more before you can truly get help.

Eric

No problem Eric about the panorama thoughts.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 10:23 PM   #8

John and Eric by using a defuser would I still have to bounce the external flash off the ceiling? Have any ideas what company I could by a defuser from and what brand should I get? Most of my problems is lighting indoors. Wow John nice to hear from someone that visted Juneau from this website.
:blah:
Old Dec 15, 2006, 6:08 AM   #9

Imacer....
I dont know if there are any brands better than others, all these things are, are milky looking plastic boxes that slide over the flash head...Thats laymans terms, all you techies please dont jump on me....:?
The one I bought recommends using it with the flash head positioned at a 45
degree angle...How it works like it does amazes me but my inside shots improved
a ton when I started using it...And to tell you the truth, even some of my outside shots that needed an extra little light, like fill flash, greatly improved using it...For $20 bucks, the spouce wont complain...:P

:|

Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:33 PM   #10

This page might interest you:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/A18/

This talks about how to make one yourself.
I've heard of the Stofen one that they talk about in the article. It is small and light, which is nice.

I would have thought that you wouldn't need to bounce the flash if you were using a defuser, but then again I don't own one... so what would I know. I just know about them and some of what they do.

Eric