Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 14, 2006, 4:54 AM   #1

For my 30D, I purchased a Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 EX DG IF HSM APO Telephoto Zoom Lens from a reputable dealer and it arrived with something rolling around inside of it. When I contacted the seller, I was told to call Sigma for their address and to return it to them for repair. Since it arrived damaged, I pushed the seller on their warranty claim and stated they are supposed to give me an RMA for an exchange. Then I was told that was true but since they did not have any more in stock, it would be faster for me to go directly to Sigma. I checked the seller's website and found they listed four available to ship. So, I called them back and pointed that out. Then they e-mailed me a RMA with no apology . . . actually an attitude that I was not being reasonable.

How would you have handled the above?
Steve
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2006, 5:30 AM   #2

you were perfectly within your rights to push them.
mongrelchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 8:08 AM   #3

I agree. You are within your rights. The sad fact is: you're at the mercy of which individual you deal with. Even the best companies have bad employees. People that are just too lazy to do their job. Kudos for doing your research and pushing for what you're owed. Hopefully your next lens will be great out of the box!!

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 4:42 PM   #4

Note the serial number of the lens just in case they try to send you the same one back. It has happened in the past to one of friends. I hope these guys have more integrity than those guys...
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 6:36 AM   #5

They claim they are the largest Sigma dealer in the country. Their overall rating is exceptionally high and that was one reason I ordered from them. I could have saved about $100 +/- ordering elsewhere, yet their reputation made me go the direction I did. It is schedule to arrive at their Brooklyn location today so I am hoping they will be prompt in shipping the replacement.
Steve
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 1:25 PM   #6

The situation you describe is why I only buy things that expensive locally. Of course, I'm lucky enough to live within reasonable driving distance of.... 3 "high serivce" stores (stores that service the pro market and generally have better trained employees and understand that people will want to test and potentially return lenses for even less than your situation - like less than expected sharpness or worse than expected edge-falloff.) And I build a relationship with the store I'm shopping at so they know that I have high standards but I will give them repeat business if they meet them.

I am willing to pay slightly more for the ability to walk into the store and say "swap this with a better one please, it clearly is busted." It's another form of insurance, I guess.

I think you were exactly within your right to get the store to replace it instead of sending it in for a repair.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote