Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 15, 2006, 11:58 PM   #1

Just wanted to introduce myself, as I'm new to this group. The name's Danny, I'm 23, and I'm from Miami, FL.

Due to the generosity of a friend who sold me a 20D, 17-40 f/4 IS USM L, and a 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 USM DO for an amazing price, I've suddenly found myself a (VERY CONFUSED) Canon user -- I'm switching from a Nikon D50.

Hoping to learn a lot, and not to be hazed too severely!

-Danny
Dlatu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2006, 7:55 AM   #2

Na, you won't be hazed. We're a knowledgeable, frieldly bunch.

The 17-40 is a nice lens, I'm sure you'll get a lot out of it. There is a 75-300 and a 70-300... and I forget which is the "better one." But being the DO version, its quite new.

The 20D is a good camera, I used it for a few years before upgrading and I still keep it as a backup.

If you ever get a flash for it, you'll find that Nikon does that better than Canon... but other than that they are basically equivalent systems. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 8:04 AM   #3

Hi Danny,

I am new to the canon forum too. I just got a 30D and the 17-40L, 70-300 and a 50mm 1.4...someone gave me the last two lens. I was a bit lost at first, but in using the camera almost daily I am getting more familiar with it all the time. If you have any pictures to share let me know where I can see them. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 9:03 AM   #4

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

I don't have a thing to show off with the Canon yet (I still can't make out most of the controls...the Nikon seems far more intuitive to me, but then again, I've been using it for 10 months). I may have to sit down and read the manual a bit more.

In the meantime, I have some shots taken over the past few years (Nikon Coolpix 2200, Panasonic Lumix FZ15 and FZ20, and Nikon D50) on web.mac.com/dlatu_1983/

-Danny
Dlatu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 11:35 AM   #5

I have the fz7 and love it for it's sharpness and reach. donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 2:00 PM   #6

I think you will like yur 20D over time.

I've had mine about 4 years (I think) and every year I appreciate the 20D more and more.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 5:07 PM   #7

I own a couple of them and use them for business (I shoot horses).

I believe the 20D to be about the best "all Around" camera on the market today. Never had a failure and have really put them to hard use. I've been shooting for 40+ years, so maybe I'm more easily satisfied.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:38 PM   #8

i just bought a 20D myself and its not hear yet:sad:

that being said i have been shooting digital canons for several years starting with a G2 4mp and then the Pro1, which is on sale on ebay at the moment. what drew me to the 20d was the 30D, which is a extensively reviewd camera at this time, well reviews on the 20D are sparse but it is at its core very close to a 30D and the used camera market is full of good deals on them...so lol :idea:i dont mind that its not going to shoot as many frames in burst, or that it lacks a 3% spot meter, larger lcd. its a good rugged camera and not a flimsy feeling plastic thing, sorry not intending to offend , i just couldnt bring myself to buy the XTi rebel because of its build quality. the heck with the extra 2 mp`s , and the 30D isnt a real step above the 20D imo not at the price difference (used vs almost have to buy at new price)

my film camera is also an eos a 630. built like a tank and at a time when people would say " whats a pop up flash?" :| nice to be able to cross use my film lenses with the 20D too
drewp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 5:01 PM   #9

Hey Donna,

You should try to get someone to give you a Canon 70-200 F2.8 lens

Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote