Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 20, 2006, 2:07 PM   #1

Have Digital Rebel with the following:

Canon 70-200 f4L
Tamron 27-75 2.8
Sigma EF500 DG Super

Need some guidanc and suggestions on using the flash and its settings in general. On auto, shots seem to be harshly lit and over exposed. I've tried bouncing the unit off the ceiling but it still seems too bright.

I have been asked to take pictures for my Bro-in-law wedding next month. They're not expecting perfection, I think I can do a decent job but would like some help/guidance on the best way to achieve good results with what I have.
ElRoy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2006, 8:56 PM   #2
NHL

#1 Do not use the camera on AUTO! :idea:
Set the camera on manual - the flash mode will still be on automatic E-TTL and the camera will still expose properly...

#2 When you're unsure on what the camera is metering on use FEL (Flash Exposure Lock) on area with light skin tone and recompose

#3 If the amount of over/under exposure is always fix then use FEC (Flash Exposure Compensation) for the desired amount
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:41 PM   #3

NHL, knowing you know more about flash use than me, I have to ask...

Why do you suggest against Auto with Flash?
What about Program?

I've done fairly well in Program with flash, but as you know I do most of my work in Av (which does flash differently.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 6:57 AM   #4

Thanks for the information. I'm going to shoot a bunch of pictures this weekend and just experiment. I'm still trying to learn the camera and learn as I go. I see such great advice here. Thanks again.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:29 PM   #5
NHL

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Why do you suggest against Auto with Flash?
What about Program?
In any of the Auto modes the exposure value will be the same: The camera will try to expose for the ambient light and then it will fill-in with the flash which tend to overexpose most of the time if the ambient light is high.

Try it: in Av the aperture is fixed, in Tv the shutter is fixed, and in P both are variable, but the exposure value remain the same (i.e the shutter will vary in Av, and the aperture will vary in TV, while in P both the shutter and aperture change all this to to maintain the same EV value)
-> The EV pointer in the viewfinder -2..-1..v..+1..+2 is always right in the middle before the flash is fired in the Auto modes!

In manual 'you' control the ambient light by moving the EV pointer mostly to the left before the shot is taken with either the aperture or shutter dial - On your 1D mrkII there an another EV scale just for the flash, but on other camera the flash exposure in E-TTL will always be centered right in the middle regardless of the ambient exposure. See Mental Block #1:
http://www.popphoto.com/assets/downl...1200311318.pdf

Old Dec 22, 2006, 9:49 AM   #6

Thanks for the great information. That cheat sheet is fantastic. Are there others from PopPhoto?
Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:37 AM   #7

NHL - Question about #2.

#2 When you're unsure on what the camera is metering on use FEL (Flash Exposure Lock) on area with light skin tone and recompose

Do you have to zoom in or move closer and meter on person's face for example and lock that.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 12:20 PM   #8
NHL

It depends on the body, most will do a partial metering on the selected AF point only, but on other bodies like the 1D/1Ds mrkII one can also chose spot for FEL so this selection can be highly selective without having to zoom in...

-> FEL lock-in the exposure (very much like AE lock) but with with the addition of a pre-flash so it doesn't matter if you move or change the focal lenght afterward!