Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 23, 2006, 11:03 AM   #1

Hi Everyone!!

Bought myself to 30D and just generally want the Basics on Photography and what i need to know!! Only reallybecame interested inPhotography in the last3 months, i was a point and shoot kinda man before...My pictures never really stood out though or begged to be looked at time and time again, they where always viewed and then stored in a box!! Where they remain in the Loft!!!

If theres any good advice out there and someone is willing to teach there basic skills to someonewhosseen photography with different Eyes for the first time....Please do!!

I've bought books....DVD's and what i learn through the Forums....!!!

Please, please, please...."HELP"!!!!

Thankyou.

Subjects: Landscape,Macro,Moon,Abstract,People,Wildlife...!!

Lenses i own: Sigma 17-70mm--Sigma 105mm DG Macro--Canon 50mm--Cosina 100-400mmf4.5-6.7 Superzoom...!!!

wrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2006, 7:25 PM   #2

Your best bet is to first go through your 30D manual and make sure you can try each of the features.

Then you should go out a shoot some shots and post them here under the critiques section.

People will quickly tell you what your doing right or wrong.

If you can find a mentor local to you, that would be a good idea.

There's no "fast road" to artistic success.

Start making mistakes today!

-Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 7:28 PM   #3

Thankyou Terry for your Wisdom!!!
Old Dec 23, 2006, 8:18 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Terry is right....... I have 3 rules to success...... practise, practise, practise!!

Keep doing what you are doing, try lots of different things to see what works and what doesn't also look at places like Getty images to see what the pros are producing and try to emulate.

You probably don't want to read any more howeverthese links might help.

http://www.ronbigelow.com/articles/articles.htm

http://www.digital-photography-tips....phy-tutor.html

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 8:43 AM   #5

wrams,
I am a similar boat to yours. Though I have had my 30D for a couple months now and have been adding equipment, the learning process is, as stated above, one of practice and reading.

In fact, I haven't yet reached the point that I would submit photos for critique (soon).

I am quite excited about the eventual improvement as the learning curve continues. The two responding before me are two I have searched and read their postings. Following their links has also been a great help.

Best of luck and I look forward to seeing your progress. This is one of heck of a forum!
Steve
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 9:03 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Hey Steve,

Don't hold back... you will find that critique by self and others is a very good way to learn. By having others who have more experience give advice means you don't have to reinvent the wheel by trial and error as someone else has probably been there, done that and got one or more tee shirts!!!!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:17 PM   #7

ive often found im my own worst critic, been shooting film slr`s since 1978, shot most everything at least a time or two, i learned with a little kodak x-15 how to frame a shot at age 12. a match needle manual Pracktica screw mount at 19. this one really launched me into photagraphy in a big way. ive felt digital is just an offshoot or step away from film. so id always reccomend not only learning about digital photagraphy and your own cameras workings, but to learn as much as you can about the technics involved with film as well., ive found my experiances in film have helped me with digital. understanding iso shutter speed and aperature, as well as focal lengths camera holding all the way down to how you press the shutter button, and this is all important but its just the beginning. finding the shot, framing the shot, picking the moment, take practice and instinct. you can be born with the instinct or pick it up with practice, i think all those who love to take pictures all must be born withthis instinct at some level / so youve got the tool now, click.

the best thing about digital is the instant feedback and not needing to wait for developing to see the results of your trials. and errors lol .

if there had been digital when i started out i often wonder:?
drewp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:23 AM   #8

When I bought my 20D i bought a book by Magic Lantern Guides called Canon EOS 20D for about $9 on Amazon.The author is Robb Sheppard. It is more detailed than the manaul and I found it to be very helpful. It would apply to the 30D as well.

Happy Shooting!

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 5:28 AM   #9

Thanks Trique Daddi

I'll take alook and maybe order it myself..!!!