Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Canon EOS dSLR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/canon-eos-dslr-41/)
-   -   [Recovered Thread: 112561] (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/canon-eos-dslr/109863-recovered-thread-112561-a.html)

lesmore49 Dec 24, 2006 9:21 AM

I am thinking of purchasing a Canon 30D. i realize it has been out for awhile and maybe getting kind of old, compared to the newbies coming out, but I am impressed by:
  • Solidity- magnesium frame-seems to be rugged, but is it?
    [/*]
  • Pro features[/*]
  • Features. I know it only has 8.2 MP and this bugs me a bit, but from what I've read MP isn't everything and the 30D has features that more than compensate for the lowly 8.2 MP rating. Is this true?[/*]
I do have some questions for those who have one of these cameras:
  • Can you blow up photos to 8 X 11 and expect professional quality, as long of course that you have the skills?[/*]
  • Is it reliable?
    [/*]
  • How does it compare to the newer D80 and Pentax K10D? Or is it in another, higher class than these cameras?[/*]
  • what are the weak points and the strong points[/*]
Thank you for any answers.

Les

hgernhardtjr Dec 24, 2006 11:29 AM

The 30D is an all-around outstanding dSLR. I have one and use it professionally. It is well built.

8x10? Lord, guy ... while not a true "Pro" camera like the next step up fairly well sealed 5D (at US$2500 body only), it can turn out ANY size photo I want and routinely print 11x14, 13x19and poster size prints. But then, so can the less rugged XT and XTi.

The cavaet, though, is the lens and that is, perhaps, the real reason for a dSLR ... interchangable lenses. The lens can often make or break a photo, other things being equal. And a "good" lens may cost you anywhere up to several thousands of dollars. You tailor your lens purchases to your shooting needs and styles.

The kit lens is a good all around lens ... but when you try the sharpness and close 1:1 ability of, say, a 100mm EF macro ... it blows the kit lens away.

So, is the 30D a good BODY ... you betcha! But so are offerings from Nikon and others. I happen to prefer Canon because I have a wide investment in outstanding lenses that will work on the 20D, 30D, and full frame sensor 5D.

Mark1616 Dec 24, 2006 12:00 PM

Les it is a very good camera and it is the weapon of choice for me to run my sideline photo business.

What do you want to use this camera for as that might make a difference or there might be something that will do what you want for a better price?

lesmore49 Dec 24, 2006 3:30 PM

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:

Les it is a very good camera and it is the weapon of choice for me to run my sideline photo business.

What do you want to use this camera for as that might make a difference or there might be something that will do what you want for a better price?
I have three 35 slrs, Leica rangefinder & TLR medium format (Mamiya) since '68 and I'm not a pro, just an amateur.

I take landscapes, people portraits, sports, cars...you name it. Whatever strikes my fancy, really. because of the features and the fact that it "feels" like a substantial camera to me, which is an appeal.

I keep my cameras for life, so that is one reason I like a robust camera. Looking at doing a lot of travelling and the 30 D seems it would be up to it.

Mark1616 Dec 24, 2006 3:50 PM

I agree that it is very well built, probably the only one that is better build in the same sort of level is the D200 from Nikon but that is going to put the price up a little. I love my 30D, it is great in the hand, lovely weight and the results are spot on. Even after cropping I quite often sell work at 15x10 with no problem at all. Lenses are going to be the only thing that will control the sort of thing you can shoot well but the body is up to the job. Also Canon have suggestedit is designed for100,000 shutter actuations so that is a good start also.

lesmore49 Dec 24, 2006 5:03 PM

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:

I agree that it is very well built, probably the only one that is better build in the same sort of level is the D200 from Nikon but that is going to put the price up a little. I love my 30D, it is great in the hand, lovely weight and the results are spot on. Even after cropping I quite often sell work at 15x10 with no problem at all. Lenses are going to be the only thing that will control the sort of thing you can shoot well but the body is up to the job. Also Canon have suggestedit is designed for100,000 shutter actuations so that is a good start also.
Thanks for the report on your experience. I appreciate actual user exp. , especially from a professional who I would think would give a camera a real workout, more than I would.

Mark1616 Dec 24, 2006 7:02 PM

LOL I would not go as far as saying I'm a pro.... well I sell quite a few shots so guess I might loosely come under semi pro but don't really class my work as good enough to use the word pro.

I hope that you have a fantastic Christmas and you make the right camera choice for your needs.

lesmore49 Dec 24, 2006 8:14 PM

Thanks and Merry X-Mas!!!:-)