Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 31, 2006, 12:25 PM   #1

I am looking for an inexpensive gift (<20 quid/$40) for a new Canon 400D owner. He's not really the type to learn from books (or eBooks), so that wouldn't really work. Does a remote come in the box with the 400D? I already gave him an inexpensivetripod a couple of years ago.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
painintheuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2006, 12:59 PM   #2

The remote does not come with it, and would be a handy item to have. Some other suggestions would be a spare battery, or compact flash cards. Another nice little item is made by LumiQuest called the soft screen diffuser which clips on in front of the built in flash to soften the flash, and cost less than $15 US. Although he might be supprised how much he could improve his photography skills by reading some good books.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 2:15 PM   #3

You could get the RC1 wireless remote. You could get some LCD protector sheets to protect the LCD screen. Lens cleaning kit. Lens filters maybe.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 4:45 AM   #4

A spare battery is what came to my mind. If they don't already have one this is definitely what I would go with.

Depending on what they shoot, the remote is a good idea. They are small and light (i.e. easy to carry with you) and very useful... depending on what they photograph. If they do outdoor stuff (landscapes, buildings,...) they are great. If you're shooting the kids playing or sports matches then they aren't.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 2:01 PM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm off to the shop tomorrow, ideas in hand .

Dr. PITUK
painintheuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 7:22 AM   #6

Caboose wrote:
Quote:
he might be surprised how much he could improve his photography skills by reading some good books.

Caboose: While my intention isn't to hijack this thread, could you make one or two recommendations?

My own SLR experience was limited to a various Minolta film cameras, but that goes back 20 years and I never really learned the fundamentals--I would always just sort of wing it.

After using a Canon A80 for four years and taking thousands of shots, I finally bought an XTi in November, but have been pretty intimidated by it.
:shock:
I think more than a few people might benefit from some guidance in terms of sorting through the seemingly zillions of books out there.

dg

dg27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:13 AM   #7

The question of a good book comes up every now and then on this forum.
My general recommendation is that National Geographic put out a series of books on a variety of photographic topics... portraits, landscapes, wlidlife,... and I've heard good things about them.

Since I do almost 100% wildlife shots, I could recommend several books in that area. But that might not be what you're looking for.

When you use a DSLR, almost all that a book covers about film photography applies to digital. Yes, they are that similar. So don't discount a good book from your library about film photography. Yes, it might be 20 years old, but it will still help you with that digital camera because in the end, most of photography is things like composition and light... and that is the same. And you can use film lenses on your DSLR, so stuff about lenses (except for the effect of sensor crop) is the same too.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 11:04 AM   #8

eric s wrote:
Quote:
When you use a DSLR, almost all that a book covers about film photography applies to digital. Yes, they are that similar. So don't discount a good book from your library about film photography. Yes, it might be 20 years old, but it will still help you with that digital camera because in the end, most of photography is things like composition and light... and that is the same. And you can use film lenses on your DSLR, so stuff about lenses (except for the effect of sensor crop) is the same too"
I shoot primarily landscapes when I travel: almost always outdoors, rarely ever anything like a portrait. I work in publishing production and have a good background in terms of the digital end of things. I have an art/design background and experience, so I've been told have a good grasp of composition and lighting issues. Two of my photos from this year have been used on book covers, including this:

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Design...125353-4587250

My biggest shortcoming in terms of photography is that I never learned the basics in terms of shutter speed, f-stops, film speeds, etc.: the nitty-gritty technical specifics. I guess I need to read the XTi manual cover to cover, but am really looking for a book that deals with these technical/mechanical aspects. The sad truth is that if you asked me to set the camera to achieve the lighting effects shown in the photo linked above [which I realize is hard to see in this context], I wouldn't have a clue. Usually it's only when I'm in Photoshop and access the picture info that I even know what the camera settings were. Ideally, I'd like to learn how to control and/or manipulate these things on my own.

dg
Old Jan 4, 2007, 1:58 PM   #9

dg27 wrote:
Quote:

Caboose: While my intention isn't to hijack this thread, could you make one or two recommendations?

My own SLR experience was limited to a various Minolta film cameras, but that goes back 20 years and I never really learned the fundamentals--I would always just sort of wing it.

After using a Canon A80 for four years and taking thousands of shots, I finally bought an XTi in November, but have been pretty intimidated by it.
:shock:
I think more than a few people might benefit from some guidance in terms of sorting through the seemingly zillions of books out there.

dg
one very good book is "Understanding Exposure" (revised edition) by Bryan Peterson. It is published by Amphoto Books. Another is also by Amphoto Books "Creative Digital Photography" by George Schaub.

Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 3:37 PM   #10

Caboose wrote:
Quote:
one very good book is "Understanding Exposure" (revised edition) by Bryan Peterson. It is published by Amphoto Books. Another is also by Amphoto Books "Creative Digital Photography" by George Schaub.
Thanks so much for the recommendations--a trip to Amazon is in order. These sound exactly like what I need.

dg