Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 31, 2006, 9:33 PM   #1

I just recently bought a 5D and shoot in raw mode. I just noticed that when first viewed in the PS CS2 bridge the metadata shows that the Resolution is 240dpi and the Bit Depth is 16. Does this mean that whenthat the native resolution is 240dpi and that's what I shouldusein thePS Raw Converter under the Workflow Settings? I am totally confused with this resolution thing! Can anyone shed some light on this for a newbie.

Thanks
countryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2007, 10:19 AM   #2

The resolution setting can be as low as 72 dpi. However with the larger sizes of the files from today's dslrs this default number has been raised to 240 dpi in CS2. The camera actually produces a 12 bit image that CS2 upsizes to 16. What does this mean? The defaut dpi setting can be changed, it really means nothing unless you decide to print the image without changing this. Youshouldtake a quick CS2 course so that you can effectively use and manipulate RAW files. Based on your questions itmight be a good idea to capture both raw and JPEG so that you get the immediate benfit of the easier to use JPEG files and later as you get up to speed with CS2, you could go back and use the RAw files.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 11:41 AM   #3

Thanks for the info.

In the past I have been using 8bits/channel and 300 pixels/inch as my workflow settings in raw converter. Was watching a NAPP DVD and the instructor was talking about the problems involved in "upsizing" an image in Image/Image Size and wasn't sure what is the pupose of theseWorkflow Settings in Camera Raw Converter?

countryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 1:58 PM   #4

You're not really changing the physical size of the file, just the way it displays or prints. For example you might have a 12 megapixel file at 240 DPI and the p[rint sixe might be 11 x 18 inches, at 72 dpi the print size would be much larger but very grainy since you'd only have 72 dots per inch. The real change that makes a difference is the change from 8 bits to 16 bits which increases the size of the file from 36 megabytes to 72 megabytes. What raw is really good for is to upsize the size of a file. Somewhre there's a setting with all the file sizes of the canon dslr line from 3 megapixel up to 20+ megapixels. This works a little better than increasing the size of the file in photoshop. I often do it when I have to do a lot of cropping.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 9:25 PM   #5

Thanks again for clearing this up. style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"