Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:07 PM   #1

Hello.

I just got a new Rebel XT/350d for Christmas, and have been messing around with it for a while to get to know how to use it. One thing I have come across that I cannot figure out how to do is set the custom white balance. I've followed the directions in the instruction manual and the camera does not do what it says. Here's how I've interpreted the instructions/what has happened when I follow them:

1. Take a picture of a white object or gray card by setting the lens to manual focus mode.

2. Select custom white balance from the white balance menu.

3. It then says that a screen will pop up asking for the image I took in step # 1 -- THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN. So obviously, I can't move on to any further steps.

Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is this just a very, very strange defect with my camera?

Thanks,
Zeb
zebulonA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:58 PM   #2

Aim the center part of the viewfinder over a plain, white surface and photograph it at the correct exposure.

Select [o]2 Custom WB.

Select the white image you just shot.

Select [o]2 White Balance.

Use the arrow keys to select the custom WB symbol.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 12:07 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, but this still isn't working at all. I can't get the screen to select the white picture to show up... I've followed the instruction manual's directions, direction's from another website, and yours, and I just can't get it to show up. Any other ideas?
Old Jan 1, 2007, 12:58 AM   #4

can you see the picture you took on your lcd? I mean can you view it just as you would any other photo you take?
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 1:21 AM   #5

Yes, I can.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 1:42 AM   #6

So when you push themenu button and scroll tocustom WB and select it,you don'tget the screen that says select an image? if you do the image or images should be on your lcd screen right then and you should just be able to select it. I'm also assuming you're not in one of the basic shooting modes, I don't believe they give you the option for custom WB.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 2:23 AM   #7

Put it in Manual mode first then try it, I tried it on an XTi and it worked.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 3:20 PM   #8

OK... wow, am I an idiot! I didn't realize that there was an actual menu item called "Custom WB." Whenever I was told to select "Custom WB" I was going into the WB menu and selecting the custom icon. OK, I've got it now. Thanks for all the replies anyway!

Zeb
Old Jan 1, 2007, 7:09 PM   #9

zebulonA5 wrote:
Quote:
OK... wow, am I an idiot! I didn't realize that there was an actual menu item called "Custom WB." Whenever I was told to select "Custom WB" I was going into the WB menu and selecting the custom icon. OK, I've got it now. Thanks for all the replies anyway!

Zeb
I was kind of guessing that was what you were doing, but I wasn't going to call you an idiot, we've all been idiots about one thing or another. :-)