Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 2, 2007, 12:00 PM   #1

I can't seem to find this in my Rebel manual. Does it matter if/or how many times I take a CF card out without reformatting? I only have one 2gb card and I want to take it out often to add pictures to computer. Do I need to reformat each time? I can't seem to find this information anywhere.

also, should I delete pictures in the camera or on the computer? which is best?

simple questions for simple minds:G

thanks.
termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2007, 12:12 PM   #2
Administrator

The simple answer is no. However it is best to use the camera's delete function and the format function insures the card's file system is what the camera expects to see. I use a card reader exclusively and Windows Explorer, the Copy command is no problem but the Move function can cause problems for some cameras. I just copy all to computer and then put card back in camera and do a format.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 12:20 PM   #3

Steve why not just "Delete All" is there data still left on the card or just find it easier..??
wrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 1:59 PM   #4

wrams wrote:
Quote:
Steve why not just "Delete All" is there data still left on the card or just find it easier..??
There is data still left on the card. I format mine each time after I download my pictures. Only takes about a second or two and you will find if you don't format your card itwill not hold as many pictures.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 2:01 PM   #5

Learn something new everyday..!!

Thanks
Old Jan 2, 2007, 2:31 PM   #6

Yup...even if you use the camera or your PC's "delete function"on a CF card, you can still use a utility to undelete photos in your card.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:48 PM   #7

How do i do that..??? Just interested for future reference...!!!
Old Jan 2, 2007, 4:13 PM   #8

Upper end Sandisk Exterme and Lexar cards come with either a little mini CD with the recovery software, or it is on the CF card itself when you get it.

You can also buy the recovery software stand alone.

A CF card format just resets the cards partition table (place it keep track of where things are) it dosen't zap the entire card.
The CF cards bios has special algorithms that keep it from re-writing to one location to often. It constantly moves where stuff is being written to to help extend the life of the cards, as each individual location has only a limited re-wirte cabability before it fails.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 6:48 PM   #9

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
Upper end Sandisk Exterme and Lexar cards come with either a little mini CD with the recovery software, or it is on the CF card itself when you get it.

You can also buy the recovery software stand alone.

A CF card format just resets the cards partition table (place it keep track of where things are) it dosen't zap the entire card.
The CF cards bios has special algorithms that keep it from re-writing to one location to often. It constantly moves where stuff is being written to to help extend the life of the cards, as each individual location has only a limited re-wirte cabability before it fails.
So, that's what that disc is for......:G

Thanks all.
termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 8:51 AM   #10

I concur with PeterP, deleting files or formatting the card doesn't remove the files.
Same as deleting on your computer....the files are still there, just that conventional software doesn't know it !

They can be securely wiped clean using the right software. As pointed out, the higher end cards come with software to recover images and to securely wipe them clean.

Generally there are only three ways that images can disappear....
Securely wiped over with the right software, simply taking more photos (enough to perhaps fill the card) will overwrite existing photos rendering them unrecoverable, or the card becoming dead !

Even the last one doesn't necessarily make it impossible to recover images !

I have seen reports on tests conducted on several different media and different manufacturers, where the cards have been dunked in coffee, ridden over by children on bicycles, hit with hammers and nailed to a tree, along with other 'punishments' !!

In many cases, images were recoverable using software based means, and the ones with a nail in the head were recovered by hardware methods.
Probably the chips taken out and implanted in some technical jiggery pokery machinery ;-)

So, most of the time there is no need to panic. Except if the expensive hardware operation is needed, then you have to decide if your images are worth the $'s.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote