Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 2, 2007, 8:16 PM   #1

Greetings! I have just returned my 30D to Costco for a full refund and I am about to repurchase a new one. The reason: YesterdayI turned the camera on it would not shoot and then it showed error 0099a moment laterthere was smoke coming from the cameraI immediately removed the batteries and then replaced them. The manual says that it is an error message for lenses that are third party lenses or non-Canon lenses. The Sigmalenswas justpurchased from Ritz Camera on 12/23/06. I don't want to return the lens if I don't have to. Which leads me to my question, is anyone having long time success with CanonEOS digital+ Sigma lenses? And secondly, do I dare use the same lens on the new body? And finally, is there another brand(other than Sigma) that is more successful when used on Canon EOS system. My main reason for not using Canon lenses is the price, I do have the kit lens (blah) and the 75-300 mm usmIII lens(bundle from Costco). I need to save up for a few months to get the Canon lens. Suggestions??? BTW I am coming over to Canon from the KMinolta group, I was tired of such a slow AF, shutter speed, lack of sharpness in my 7D and so I am thrilled to get the 30D. (PS I even left the 30D over night without the battery the next day I attached the Canon lenses and the error 0099 would not go away or reset.
dlb@beehive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:51 PM   #2

Whoa! This is the first I've heard of something like this. I experienced ERR99 on my old 20D when I used it with a Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS lens...turned out to be a defective IS assembly in the lens which Canon replaced. I've never had such problems with my 20D, 30D, 5D using Sigma lenses (or any other third party lenses). I've used the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8, 12-24mm,20mm f1.8, and 150mm f2.8 Macro, Tokina 12-24mm, Tamron 28-75mm, and Tamron 17-50mm lensessuccessfully without any problems.

My brother-in-law has been using the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 DG Macro without problems with his Digital Rebel as well for a while...no problems whatsoever either.

I think if I can remember correctly, I also experienced ERR99 on the 20D when I attempted to use an OEM Hitachi 4gb microdrive that came from an iPod...and also happened on an OEM Seagate 8gb microdrive.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 7:56 AM   #3

using sigma 24-70 ex on my dRebel 300d for two years - everything works perfectly
O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 9:10 AM   #4

The Canon manual is slightly deceptive.

It says ERR99 "may be caused by a non Canon lens"
It actually is a catch all error code meaning something happened but the camera does not know what exactly to do for that specific event.

ERR99 will come up if your lens contacts are dirty, or your lens malfunctions.
It will also come up if your battery grip is not making proper contact, or your battery has problems. It may even pop up if your shutter assembly fails.

At this point I would take the lens to Ritz and ask to try it on one of their bodies to make sure it is working. (just in case, it's electronics may have been damaged when the camera cooked)
And as you already plan, get another replacement 30D from Costco. I suspect it is more likely either the battery or the camera body itself had some serious problems.

You are using the original Canon el511a battery that came with the camera and not a cheap e-bay knock off?

I've been shooting with Canon DSLR's and Sigma EX lenses for over three years with no problems at all.
I have gotten the err99 with a canon ef 75-300 mkII usm,
to clear the error all it needed was to power off everything, remove the battery and remount the lens, replace the battery and power up again.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 12:59 PM   #5

Friends, thanks for your input, I took the lens this morning to Ritz and shot 50-75 shots on their 30D display body and had no problem whatsoever, so I was glad that I only need to replace the body. I am using the original BP511 Canon battery and the Canon Battery Grip, I will watch to make sure the grip is nice and tight.

:angry:I am going thru some stress not having my 30d so I need to get online and re-order a new one!! Have a great 2007!:G
Old Jan 4, 2007, 1:04 PM   #6

I have several Sigma lenses, includng the 24-70mm f/2.8and also canon, and Tokina lenses. I use all of themwith my 20D and Digital Rebel. I've never had a problem with any of them. Sounds pretty strange to me. Some older Sigma lenses are not compatable with the the newer Canon digital cameras, but I've never heard of one that fried a camera.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 1:53 PM   #7

Adding my two cents (Canadian) ... I've used Sigma lenses (15-30, 50-500, 300-800) only on a 10D, 20D and now the 30D, never with a problem. Those bodies have never seen a Canon lens. I also have seen ERR99 messages, but usually it cleared after pulling the batteries out of the grip, switching them and firing it up again.
My wife uses only Canon lenses on her XTi and 30D (kit lens, 60mm, 100-400, 400 5.6) and she's also received the occasional ERR99. Same story though, just switch the batteries and all is well.

cheers,
jim
jimtfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 1:54 PM   #8

The salesman at Ritz thought is that it was just a faulty body, I tend to think that there was something wrong at the point of the contacts some foreign object, a hair, a piece of fruitcake, I don't know but it definiteluy made something short out and smoke. I am confident that the new one will be just fine. BTW JIMFOTO, do you leave your batteries in the grip overnight or just for a day or two? (I've never used a grip before) and I usually use my camera everyday or 2 at most
Old Jan 4, 2007, 2:11 PM   #9

Batteries are left in. Only time they're out is when they're being recharged.

cheers,

jim
jimtfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 3:40 PM   #10

Same here batteries normally only come out of the grip to get recharged, and I put in another set while waiting for the charge cycle to finish :-)

Always keep a few spares handy. Especialy up here where it should be cold by now. :G
The batteries do not last long in the sub zero cold, so they get swapped out a lot to get warmed up in a coat pocket. They recover their charge when they get warm again.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote