Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 7, 2007, 8:37 AM   #1

I am thinking of getting the Sandisk Extreme III compact flash cardfor my Canon 30D camera.Has anybody out there ever had had any experience with this compact flash card?If yes,what do you think about it?Would you highly recommend it?

THANKS.

Killer Angel
Killer Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2007, 11:19 AM   #2

Yep I use one with my 20D. I can't say I notice a big difference in-camera between in and the ultra II. But when I put it in the card reader - it's about 40% faster on the downloads than the Ultra II. That alone makes it worth while to me.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 2:16 PM   #3

The Sandisk Extremes are very good and reliable cards, but then again so are the Ultras. I have both for my 30D and the Extreme is faster but I wouldn't say critically so. The differnce is noticable but not highly so and then only really apparent for picture taking purposes if shooting bursts of multiple exposures.

It depends on your budget really - if the extra cost of the Extreme is no issue then get one, but if you are struggling to afford the size you want then go for an Ultra with a more useful capacity.
ariaudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 6:51 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Yep I use these (I have 3 x 1Gb as they worked out a lot better value than buying the 2Gb or 4Gb). If you are shooting RAW at high speed then you will notice the benefit but if working in jpg then probably either them or the Ultras are going to do the job. I shoot a lot of sport and as yet I have never bounced off of the buffer due to slow saving (I have not even got close in honesty).
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 12:54 AM   #5

Both the Extreme III and the Ultra II are great performers! I have uesed both and own both. There isn't much difference in transfer rates. The Extreme card is more tolerant of "extreme" conditions related to temperature.

B& H has both on sale right now. The Extreme III one gig card is 39.95 and the Ultra II is 21.95. That is an incredible price!

Happy Shooting!

Trique Daddi

Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 12:54 AM   #6

Both the Extreme III and the Ultra II are great performers! I have uesed both and own both. There isn't much difference in transfer rates. The Extreme card is more tolerant of "extreme" conditions related to temperature.

B& H has both on sale right now. The Extreme III one gig card is 39.95 and the Ultra II is 21.95. That is an incredible price!

Happy Shooting!

Trique Daddi

Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote