Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 7, 2007, 10:11 PM   #1

Hi,
I just purchased a used 85 on ebay and was wondering what other owners of this lens think of it? I will be using this lens mainly for high school basketball and volleyball, as the old 35-80 slowwwww lens just wasn't cutting it for those notoriously underlit gyms. Anyone wanna share their thoughts on this lens? Let me hear from ya Canon lovers.....:|
Photodude25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2007, 7:43 AM   #2

It's a great lens. I use it for those very same sports. You don't say what camera you're using - if its a 1.6 crop camera, the 85 is too tight for under the basket shooting - you need to shoot from the corners of the baseline - and from a couple rows up if you want mid-court or defensive action.

For volleyball it's great for shooting just off the net - but it is of course too short to shoot from the ends to catch over the net action and too short to shoot from the stands.

Also, if you're not used to shooting at wide apertures for sports (i.e. 2.0 or 1.8) you're in for a fun ride. You'll find the margin for error on your focus technique is almost nothing - so it's a bit frustrating at first.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 9:09 AM   #3

Hi John,
Thanks for your response. That's what I was looking to hear. I am now shooting this lens on a D30, not the fastest DSLR out there but will have to do the job until I can afford a better body. I've had very good luck with it and absolutely love the CMOS sensor, great colors. What body do you use?
Old Jan 8, 2007, 9:16 AM   #4

a 20D. just to confirm, do you mean the old D30 or the newer 30D?
Old Jan 8, 2007, 5:59 PM   #5

I also have the 85, and I've used it for basketball, volleyball, gymnastics, and even outdoor little league baseball, but I was actually on the field for these. On top of that it is also a very good portrait lens too.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 7:46 AM   #6

yep, I'm still shooting with one of the old D30s. Saving my cash for either a new rebel xti or a 20D.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 9:09 AM   #7

JohnG & Caboose,
Do you shoot these sports professionally or do ya have kids playing? Just curious. I work for a local weekly newspaper so I need to get good enough quality shots to be printed in the sports pages. Sounds like the 85 will do the job no problem. Thanks
Old Jan 11, 2007, 9:31 AM   #8

Sports photography is a side business for me. I sell photos to a local paper and to parents/athletes via my website. Absolutely the 85 will get you newspaper quality shots - in point of fact, most major newspaper photogs will still use Canon 70-200 2.8 in my area because the noise of shooting at a higher ISO isn't as much of an issue with newspaper shots. Since I am going for print sales I want a better quality image so I shoot with the prime so I get less noise.