Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 9, 2007, 5:43 AM   #11
NHL

... and this is what you can do in "macro" with your existing 120-300 EX: :idea:

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 6:07 AM   #12

Steve, that's very nice results with the "kit" 17-85 IS. I don't really think of a $500 lens as being a "kit" lens, but I know B&H and some of the others do put kits together like that.

I have that lens too, it just came from B&H last night, and I just realized ithad a macro ring with this thread. I went back and forth on this one versus the Tamron 17-55 2.8, or the Sigma in similar range and finally decided to go to the Canon to get the IS and some extra reach, even though I have read mixed reviews.

From the pic NHL just posted regarding what the Sigma us capable of that you also already have, I'm not thinking you need another macro, but it's your money, so more power to you!!

PS I'm just south of you below Keene. I ride my motorcycle through your area all the time. Great area to enjoy your hobby!

oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 6:13 AM   #13

Great capture NHL!!

WOW! Composition, color, detail, light, ahrpness, texture, it's got it all!

How much did you have to pay the butterfly to pose like that? (kidding, kidding!) Great photograph, really!

Old Jan 9, 2007, 8:47 AM   #14
NHL

oldhippie wrote:
Quote:
How much did you have to pay the butterfly to pose like that? (kidding, kidding!)
Again it's the 'stand-off' distance which was mentioned with a longer macro - and here we have a 300mm instead of a shorter one which allow you to keep the distance and not scare the subject from flying away...

--> with a 1.4x or 2x extender you can increase the magnification a little bit which you can't do with a slower zoom
IMO BrierS has a pretty good set-up already - what else can you cover the 17-600mm reach with just 2 lenses (+ semi 'macro' capability)?

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 9:13 AM   #15

Absolutely, the longer macro is much more practical for any shot where the subject isn't inert.

Plus the longer lens compresses the DOF and gives you better background in many cases I would think.

I've got a 200MM 3.5 macro for my older Nikkormat camera system which I still use a lot, but I haven't used the macro feature much. It's a vivatar lens, but it's really got some quality. Weighs a couple pounds though! LOL!

Old Jan 9, 2007, 3:12 PM   #16

NHL,
Just saw the photo you posted . . . very impressive and, after seeing/reading some of your other posting/provided links, I believe I need to learn to work with the lenses I have before adding to them. That is one of the many benefits this forum and people like you offer older hobbyists like me.

Thank-you,
Steve
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 3:25 PM   #17

>>> That is one of the many benefits this forum and people like you offer older hobbyists like me. <<<

I dunno Steve, you look pretty young in that Avatar picture!

Old Jan 9, 2007, 3:30 PM   #18

oldhippie,
I just got caught up on reading the replies . . . as to the "kit" reference I made, I am very pleased with the Canon lens and just referred to it as "kit" since it came with the camera. When I was getting ready to purchase the 30D I noticed different sources had different lenses so I read this forum to determine which way to go. I am not at all disappointed with my selection. In fact, the more I learn the more I am enjoying this new hobby.

As you wrote, you are just south of me. I love the area and have lived here in North Charlestown (hang glider/ultra light area) for all of my 52 years. Grew up on a family owned dairy farm about two miles from where I built my house/home. Been a work of passion ever since. I recently purchased an abutting property which, among other attributes, has a "bank" barn built in 1849 that has now become my intended multifunction workshop.

During the summer months, when the hang gliders, para-sails and ultra lights are decorating the sky, you should come up this way and join in photographing them. Coffee is always hot, drinks are always cold, pool is always warm (except winter) and plenty of things to photograph. I'm just off Route 12 so it is easy to find.
Thanks,
Steve
Old Jan 9, 2007, 3:32 PM   #19

oldhippie wrote:
Quote:

>>> That is one of the many benefits this forum and people like you offer older hobbyists like me. <<<

I dunno Steve, you look pretty young in that Avatar picture!

Not as young as my photogenic niece by any stretch yet probably still have nearly her energy. I am one that never thinks about growing old . . .
Old Jan 9, 2007, 3:36 PM   #20

Oh, gee! ...and here I thought you were a child prodigy photographer with ooodles of money for lenses!! LOL!!