Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 8, 2007, 6:37 AM   #1

I would like to purchase a macro lens to use on my 30D. Primary subjects will be flowers. I did a "macro" search and did not find "recent" postings on this topic. If I missed one, I apologize . . .

I prefer to make "investments" in my lenses so I am seeking suggestions on lenses with quality first, price second.

Presently I have the Sigma EX 120-300mm 1:2.8 DG HSM and the Canon kit lens EFS 17-85mm IS.

Thanks,
Steve
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2007, 6:47 AM   #2

One that was suggested to me recently was the 180mm lens but i can't remember who made it...I think it was sigma...Hope this helps..??
wrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 8:49 AM   #3

I use the amazingly sharp and absolutely outstanding Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro USM at around US$500 or so. One fine lens! It is an excellent portrait and macro all in one. I highly recommend this lens.

If you want ONLY macro, then the MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro at around US$1000 is outstanding.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 8:57 AM   #4
NHL

BrierS wrote:
Quote:
I did a "macro" search and did not find "recent" postings on this topic. If I missed one, I apologize . . .
FYI:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=65
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=65

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 2:18 PM   #5

Definitely check out those links that NHL posted.

Sigma has been making some really nice macro lenses lately. For flowers, the closeness to the subject doesn't matter as much (they won't run away!) So you can get away with something in the 60mm to 100mm range.

Canon also makes very good macro lenses. From what I've read they have a higher build quality than the Sigmas, but for lens sharpness, contrast, and other optical aspects both brands are neck-and-neck... and stunningly good.

The downside is that the Canon's are more expensive (often by a lot.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 2:27 PM   #6

I have the (Sigma 105mm EX DG Macro)but not the latest one...It's the older model which i think is better.....Looking at the reviews...I paid about £120.00 ($205.00) USD and it takes great shots....But then again thats my Opinion for what it's worth..!!

P.S This lens was second hand from ebay...Take a look on there...Some great offers..!!
wrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 7:40 PM   #7

You don't really need a dedicated macro lens for flowers. One of the zooms with "macro" capability will do just fine. Something like 1:3 will do just fine. I occasionally use my Sigma 80-400mm to shoot flowers. Of course, a dedicated macro lens will give sharper results. Here is a shot with the Sigma:
Ron
Attached Images

surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 9:22 PM   #8

Great pic!

Great color and detail.

oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 11:46 PM   #9

What I do it use extention tubes with my 100-400 L canon lens. They reduce the minimum focusing distance (and you loose infinity focus) so you can use any lens to take close-up pictures.

Is this as good as a dedicated macro lens? No.
Does it work? Can you get good images? Yes.

A dedicated macro lens can have a smaller max aperture (larger f-stop) and it will be sharper at larger f-stops. So you're getting more than just better overall sharpness, you better sharpness with the settings that you normally use macro lenses.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 6:23 AM   #10

This is an example of what the Canon kit lens EFS 17-85mm IS does when attempting "macro". Based on the supplied links, there is certainly a lot of room for improvement over what I currently have (disregarding my beginner skill level).
Canon EOS 30D
Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/60Sec.
Av(Aperture Value) F5.6
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 400
Lens EF-S17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Focal Length 50.0 mm
Image size 3504 x 2336
Image Quality Fine
Flash On
White Balance Auto
AF mode AI focus AF