Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:05 PM   #1

Ive got the chanch to buy a camera, ive seen a 10d for about 350 uk sterlin, and ive also seen a 350d for about the same price, i dont want to wait, and save up more to get a new camera, because, it wont happen, something else orways pops up, And i have to get that (Wife),
so if someone could give me the lowdown on these plz,
I no the 10D is older and has less MP, but plz let me no your views
regards
Doc
Doc-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:59 PM   #2

Unless you can get a 10d at 1/2 the price of a new rebel xt or xti, why bother?

If your hard up for cash you could go for the low end Nikon DSLR, I believe its the Nikon D40.

However if I were in your shoes I'd buy a rebel 350d, or even better, a rebel XT or rebel XTi.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 12:47 AM   #3

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Unless you can get a 10d at 1/2 the price of a new rebel xt or xti, why bother?

If your hard up for cash you could go for the low end Nikon DSLR, I believe its the Nikon D40.

However if I were in your shoes I'd buy a rebel 350d, or even better, a rebel XT or rebel XTi.
id disagree. the 10d is a much better camera body than the xt. and the 2mp difference is only huge if your going to be making prints larger than 8x10. the ex and xti bodies are a big turnoff to me. as well as the other plasticl dslr`s out there. you bang that xt up against something and youl be wishing it was a 10d:G
drewp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 8:17 AM   #4
NHL

I also agree with drewp21 because the 10D also has more control than the 350 when it comes to overiding the programmed in features - Access to theses feartures are also faster through the rear wheel than the convoluted buttons
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 8:27 AM   #5

I'll also toss in a vote for the 10d. I have the original digital 300d that I use as a back up to my 20d. I've decided to put it up for sale and replace it with a 10d or maybe even an older D60, mainly because of the reasons NHL mentions. I like the rear wheel much better than trying to push a bunch of buttons.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 6:53 PM   #6

There should be a way to se how many shots were taken by the ameras. They wear out. Many times wedding pros's sell at a certain point, much like a used car. The newer Nikon or Xti should be considered before a camera 2 generations, soon to be 3 backjavascript:emoticon('',%20'images/emoticons/bash.gif')
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:35 PM   #7

to me
10d = easier control
350d=better image quality at high ISO

I am no pro, I don't change settings for every shot I make. even my 300d gives me easy access to the settings I actually use.

I bought my 300d used and loved it, after two years with it I am ready to move on to something new with better noise control at high ISO. I never felt that 300d makes things hard to access.

the point of the above is - even 350d gives enough in terms of what you can easily change. The fact that 10d is easier to control may be absolutely irrelevant - it all depends what settings you are going to change and how often.
I don't change much so I don't care, if all you do is change settings all day long then 10d is the one to get I guess.
O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 5:23 AM   #8
NHL

O.S. wrote:
Quote:
to me
10d=easier control
350d=better image quality at high ISO
... Not according to actual test results: :O
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos10d/page18.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d/page19.asp

-> At ISO-1600 the 10D luminance noise is @ 2.5 while the 350D is almost double at 4
The 350D is also noiser than the older 300D (i.e. derived from the same sensor as the 10D) which it replaced according to the dpreview graghs across the whole ISO scale (including the RGB noise grapgh) - make sense when one squeezes more smaller pixels in the same cropped area...

-> The 10D also goes up to ISO-3200 !!!
(ISO-3200 ~4 luminance noise on the 10D is a bout the same level as the 350D at ISO-1600)
Old Feb 10, 2007, 6:16 AM   #9
NHL

tommccarty wrote:
Quote:
There should be a way to se how many shots were taken by the ameras. They wear out. Many times wedding pros's sell at a certain point, much like a used car. The newer Nikon or Xti should be considered before a camera 2 generations, soon to be 3 back ''
... Just like any new car - A new camera has a bigger mark up which depreciates more as soon as you drive off :idea:

-> Newer does not mean necessarily better: as already shown, the noise has gotten worse as denser pixels are squeezed in the same area, so depending on how much you pay for it IMO the 10D is a much better buy:

1. The 10D is all metal not the Xt
2. Easier to control
3. Better IQ
4. Has a PC-sync terminal which is essential for studio works
5. The 10D true prism also allows a brighter viewfinder for theses low-light studios!!!
Old Feb 11, 2007, 9:52 AM   #10

Doc-uk wrote:
Quote:
Ive got the chanch to buy a camera, ive seen a 10d for about 350 uk sterlin, and ive also seen a 350d for about the same price, i dont want to wait, and save up more to get a new camera, because, it wont happen, something else orways pops up, And i have to get that (Wife),
so if someone could give me the lowdown on these plz,
I no the 10D is older and has less MP, but plz let me no your views
regards
Doc
Hi there Doc go to this site, left hand side bar scroll down to buying guide, then side by side. I am sure you can work it out from there.

http://www.dpreview.com/

Bob
inness is offline   Reply With Quote