Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 17, 2007, 6:00 PM   #1

I just went and took over 50 pictures of my daughter outside. Come inside and download them and 99% of them are dark and blurry. Some of them are clear in one part of the picture but her face is out of focus. I'm using the 50mm 1:1.8 II lens. I have it set on AV with the appeture on 2.2. Metering mode on Evaluative metering. ISO was 100 it wasn't bright out but not overcast. It was kinda shady as the sun was starting to set. Any help you can give me would be great. Thanks
momof3b1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2007, 6:17 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Can you please post a couple of examples with the exif intact so we can help you more?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 6:55 PM   #3

Here is one..
Old Jan 17, 2007, 8:02 PM   #4

looks like a depth of focus problem with this picture. the camera looks like it may of focused slightly behind her face on the hair. anyway, thats my impression. maybe the focus should be set to the center sensors for face shots to avoid having the camera focus on the wrong spot, especially critical using a lens at nearly wide open. try using f4 - 5/6 for a little sharper image. some lenses are softer at wide open. this could be the case with the 50mm II wich ive heard has some issues compared to the ist gen 50mm , cant speak to your other pics underexposure. sometimes tricky lighting fools the meter, cant say enough about how many good cameras ive had that were on occasion fooled by lighting. like film, unless you review each shot theres going to be times when you might have troubles. id review a few hear and there as you shoot just to make sure there isnt need to a change in exposure/ comp.
drewp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 8:38 PM   #5

Can you help me with the AV mode? I have been trying to use it inside to take some pictures and they are coming out with weird lighting. Its also taking forever to take the picture. Even though i'm using the flash and there is plenty of light in the room. What am i doing wrong? Here is an example..
Old Jan 17, 2007, 9:32 PM   #6

What am I doing wrong? Here is a photo of my sone but its still not coming out clear.

Shutter speed 1/4, appeture 1.8, exposure compensation 0, ISO 100, focal lenght 50mm. Am i using the wrong setting, wrong lense or what? Auto focus point was dead center/on his nose.

Old Jan 17, 2007, 10:40 PM   #7

first one looks over exposed with flash getting into the lens to cause flare. second one is at 1/4 sec at f1.8? wide open? of f8? didnt say what iso speed. ill assume at least iso 100. first off why shoot this at f 1.8 ? could be at that combination the natural light plus flash causes overexposure and slow shutter will cause blurs and ghosts. want to try 1/60 sec or higher. close the lens down to f 5.6 to f 8.0 and that should help with the flare from the flash , if not try a lens hood.

aperature and shutter speed go hand in hand. open the aperature and the shutter speed will drop. 1/4 second is too slow for most people to hand hold the camera. the rule of thumb for shutter speeds is at least 1/focal length/ or if your using a 50mm lens then that would mean maintain at least 1/50 sec, a 200mm lens at 1/200 second. this is an excellent rule of thumb.

ok, last thing . what flash are you using and why doesnt it syn the shutter? i assume its going for a fill flash andassuming that your in control. if you really must shoot at this setting do these things:

1: lens hood

2: tripod

3: use 2 second timer/ or release

4: have subjects stand still

5: shoot at lower ISO
drewp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:17 PM   #8

Just a general suggestion. Take the smae shot in another mode and even in Auto to compare. Also, do the same with another lens if you have on. The comparisons will help you reduce the number of varibles.

Good luck!

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 3:46 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Hmmmm looks like you are having fun, but don't let it get you down I'm sure we can get to the bottom of the problem.

Firstly, don't use Av (aperture value/aperture priority) when using flash as it will set the shutter speed to try to expose the rest of the shot properly as well as the subject hence the slow shutter speeds. 90% of the time I shoot with flash in manual mode but sometimes use Tv (timed value/shutter priority) which will allow the camera to set an aperture to give good exposure of the subject not the whole frame. If you give 1/60th a try in Tv or go for manual with 1/60th and f4.5 you should be getting some good results (just make sure if shooting manual that the settings you have gone for will not over expose the shot beforethe flash fires otherwise you are into a big problem (so probably give Tv a try first).

Have play with that and let us see the results then we will be able to move to the next step.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 6:43 AM   #10

momof3b1g wrote:
Quote:
What am I doing wrong? Here is a photo of my sone but its still not coming out clear.

Shutter speed 1/4, appeture 1.8, exposure compensation 0, ISO 100, focal lenght 50mm. Am i using the wrong setting, wrong lense or what? Auto focus point was dead center/on his nose.

1/4 of a second is too slow to keep your camera steady.

When using flash indoors, try the following:

Set ISO to 400

Set camera to Manual mode

Set aperture to desired value for DOF

Set shutter speed to 1/60

Take the shot.

As Mark said, in AV and TV mode the camera tries to set exposure as if you are not using a flash at all. Manual mode usually works the best because you can select a narrow aperture if you want (like f8) and let the flash put out more power.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote