Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 18, 2007, 3:34 PM   #1

Just starting to shoot in RAW. A bit confusing...but much better images. When I convert to Jpeg, is there still a RAW or digital negative somewhere. If so, how do I know I am saving it correctly. Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks, Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2007, 3:58 PM   #2

Hi D,

When i shoot in RAW i find it is saved automatically onto my PC

Do you plug your camera in or CF card into a card reader..??
wrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:00 PM   #3

I have done both, which is better...donna
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:03 PM   #4

I prefer to use the CF card straight into a card reader then you can save in RAW and convert as you go keeping the RAW files intact...

Then i Format the card in the camera..I don't delete the images as it leaves traces of file which takes up room on the card.....

Or you can save the RAW files twice and use one to convert to jpeg...

Hope this helps

Andrew
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:06 PM   #5

so deleting files from the camera leaves a bit of the files behind to clog your card...so just reformat the card? donna
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:09 PM   #6

Yep you got it...

Next time you format your card take a look at the data inKB on the LCD then look at it again when you've formated it

Also why don't you convert to jpeg from RAWand have 2 files and lock 1 and use the other to play about with leaving 1 untouched

Remember the more you play with jpeg files the more damage you do to the pictures

so always keep 1 file locked away..I zip mine so i can't mistakenly use them

Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:48 PM   #7

Here's what I expect your are doing - You shoot in RAW, then transfer your RAW file to your computer, then process it using some software, for example Canon's Digital Photo Professional (DPP) that came on a cd with the camera, then convert to jpg. When processing it you adjust the exposure, white balance etc. Upon exiting DPP, you are prompted if to save your changes.

When you convert to jpg, the RAW file is not lost, a new file, a jpg file, is created and saved separately. When you save the changes to the RAW file, the image data is not changed. Any settings you have changed are saved but the actual image data is untouched. One part of the RAW file contains the untouched image data and another part contains the current settings (white balance, tone curve, saturation etc). When the RAW file is opened, the image data is processed based on the settings to create the image you see on the screen. You can always revert back to the original camera settings that were used to take the picture.

You can think of the image data in the RAW file as your negative, which you never change, and the settings that are saved in the RAW file are like a Post-it note with instructions to the photolab on how to print your negative. Changing the RAW file settings in DPP or whatever software you use doesn't affect the negative, you're just changing the instructions on your Post-it.
edwardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 6:48 PM   #8

Thanks guys, that was exactly what I needed to know...and explained expertly I might add! Donna
Old Jan 19, 2007, 9:08 PM   #9

Donna, I have just started using new 30D so I have little experience. So far I have just been using the jpeg format and playing a bit with the Styles.

My limited understanding so far is that using RAW does not allow the use of Styles, so you need to do everything in post processing. Which is fine for me because I do a lot of that too.

But, I'm curious, what do you find better using RAW, what's the advantage that you see?

oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 9:14 PM   #10

Well I try to take bird shots when I can and post them on the wildllife forum. The guys there take some pretty great pictures and they encouraged me to shot RAW. I did notice that in processing the RAW images, you have a lot more room to change exposure etc..and my images started looking more realistic. I only have the sharpening turned up a notch or two. But I am having great fun learning my 30D...I think birding is the hardest type of photography for me, and I don't have a super long lens...so I also do landscapes etc...when I can. Donna