Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:38 AM   #1

For owners of the 20D or 30D.

Do you shoot with the sharpness at it's default? I heard the 30D produces pics sharp "enough" out of the box set at the "standard PictureStyle" setting. Or do some of you prefer a higher setting to get the results you want?

Can you post 2 pictures? One shot WITHOUT any PP work done (any sharpness setting). The second with.

Thanks!!
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2007, 5:00 PM   #2

I don't have before and after pictures, but I shoot two notches up and in Raw. donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 9:20 AM   #3

Personally i would'nt up the Sharpness in Camera settings on the 30D..Mine is 1 notch Below default it's easier to add sharpnees in PP than to reduce it without detroying the shot...Hope this helps..!!!

I'm sure Mark1616 does the same and go take alook at his posts in the Sport section

wrams

wrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 9:50 AM   #4

wrams wrote:
Quote:
Personally i would'nt up the Sharpness in Camera settings on the 30D..Mine is 1 notch Below default it's easier to add sharpnees in PP than to reduce it without detroying the shot...Hope this helps..!!!

I'm sure Mark1616 does the same and go take alook at his posts in the Sport section

wrams
If I do pickup the 40D or 30D I'm not sure I'd bump up the sharpness either. At the "Standard" setting the sharpness is default to 3 and on the "Landscape" setting 4. Beyond that I'm not sure if you'd start to see artifacts. That and it is easier and better to fine tune the sharpness in some kind of photo editing software. I was just wondering how sharp the pictures look pre-PP.

Still would love to see a sample or two.

Thanks for posting people.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:02 AM   #5

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I was just wondering how sharp the pictures look pre-PP.

Go take alook at Mark1616 post in Sport Pics under Hockey then you'll see just how good the sharpness is on the 30D. I think he also tells you what PP he done!!!
wrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:17 AM   #6

wrams wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I was just wondering how sharp the pictures look pre-PP.

Go take alook at Mark1616 post in Sport Pics under Hockey then you'll see just how good the sharpness is on the 30D. I think he also tells you what PP he done!!!
Was just there. But I'll take a look under "Hockey" too later. Thanks!!

I have an idea of how good 30D pics can be after PP. But I wanted to get an idea of how good it is BEFORE PP.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:37 AM   #7

Quote:
I have an idea of how good 30D pics can be after PP. But I wanted to get an idea of how good it is BEFORE PP.

And I agree with this.

While it's always nice to know that DSLRs are designed with the ''darkroom'' photographer in mind (according to comments on this website) it also would be nice if those camera manufacturers had the ''occasional'' but knowledgeable photographers in mind who don't want to sit in front of a computer trying to decide if this works or that doesn't and perpetually in disagreement with themselves as to what constitutes a good picture.

A good picture needs to be recognized for the photographer's compositionalskills, how lines in a photograph converge andcompliment each other;are the main elements in harmony with the rest of the frameand how the eye moves freely about the picture without being distracted by something else,rather than how much of a blue sky can be addedin later, or a cloud moved to another position,sometimes whimsically I might add. I do agree however with post-production being an important tool in the end process for some, particularly the sports photographer in terms of cropping for composition,but if the ''authority'' of the picture is lacking initially, landscapes and portraiture for example,wherein lies the power of post-production short of erasing the entire picture and heading back to thearea where the picture was made. An example of this will be another thread on this websiteshows a photograph as taken, then a ''corrected'' version.The adjusted version added nothing to the original. In fact it diminished what the original offered. It was obvious the ''after'' intentadded moregreen to the trees but in the process it destroyed the authenticity of it; the picture was lacking the sharpness the original showed. Now this may have had something to do with the user of post-production rather than the tool itself; I have no way of knowing. With this in mind, maybe I've been duped all along and didn't understand the power of post-production. Maybe everything I see is post-production.

I've read the arguments here and elsewhere thatfavor the post-production end of photography and also the ones that say it should be used as a complimentto the photographerfor correcting minor mistakes rather than a ''I can repair it later'' attitude. Doesn't this mean more awareness and thought in the initial phases of the photograph. Am I wrong in assuming the ''eraser'' is more valuable than the photographer.

Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:44 AM   #8

well - I hate post processingand avoid it wherever possible.
I have the saturation and sharpness set to the max.
I love the quality that comes out of the camera. I can not be bothered with other stuff. I am not doing art photography ... just my family.
O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 12:11 PM   #9

O.S. wrote:
Quote:
well - I hate post processingand avoid it wherever possible.
I have the saturation and sharpness set to the max.
I love the quality that comes out of the camera. I can not be bothered with other stuff. I am not doing art photography ... just my family.
Well, for me, seeing what the camera can do before going through PP doesn't really have anything to do with whether I'm for PP or not exactly. I DO see the value in PP. Assuming you know what you're doing. As Andrew mentioned it is possible to wreck a good photo. And with some software you might go beyond the point of return.

Knowing how good a photo a camera can produce before being PP just allows me the choice of sticking with the original or doing some PP work if needed. As I have seen a few non-PP 30D pics and have been happy with the results. I could have lived with the origianals. Even if introducing some "unsharp masking" might take it to the next level.

In any case if any of you are willing to post a few untouched photos please post. I'd still like to have a look at more samples.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 12:49 PM   #10

I turn all in camera sharpening off this allows me to do more selective sharpening where needed in PS.
bsawle is offline   Reply With Quote