Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 23, 2007, 6:40 AM   #1

Could someone help me to work out the contrast & sharpness settings in the various Canon 400D / XTI Picture styles. From what I have read, the Standard style has too much contrast and people recommend using one of the other style to reduce the contrast. But according to the various charts I have seen, the only difference between the styles in in the Sharpness. Does anyone have a chart which shows the actual differences between the various styles eg that Standard has x% more contrast than Portrait etc. If not, what would be good settings to give an well balanced photo without loosing the details because of the high contrast.
JohnWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2007, 8:05 AM   #2

Hi, I currently have the 30D. When changing the picture style i always make sure that the sharpness is one notch down from usual settings..Then if need be i can up it in PP to my taste...You can also adjust the settings for the contrast yourself in any of the User Define..If you have taken shoots and think the contrast is to much then just simply ruduce it yourself...Look through the manual if your having problems doing this...Hope this helps..!!
wrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 2:12 PM   #3

Thanks Wrams, every bit helps for me at the moment, John
JohnWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:19 PM   #4

Page 78 in the XTI book.

It's tricky to set. Get to the scale, increase/decrease to suit your taste, hit <set>, move down to the next, everytime you want to +/- you have have to hit <set> dial otherwise it doesn't move at all, you think the camera hangs up.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote