Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:32 AM   #1

Being that the AF Assist lamp is built into the flash that means you'd constantly have to remember to raise the flash. Correct? If you plan to shoot in low light conditions without an external flash. And that should you forget to raise the flash you would end up with a possibly out of focus shot. Assuming you're using an AF lens and want the camera to leave the focusing to the camera. What are your thoughts on this?

Sounds like a PITA to me. To have to remember to raise the flash to get help from the AF Assist. In debateable low light conditions. Am I blowing this out of proportion? I'm actually surprised Canon didn't put the AF Assist lamp outside the flash like the competition has.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2007, 2:30 PM   #2

I wouldn't really consider the built-in flash an assist lamp. More like a burst of searing flashing pain (especially if you're in the dark).

The burst flash that helps auto focus is extremely annoying. And if you're taking pictures of people, it's really going to annoy them as well.

What you said is certainly true; If you forget to raise the flash, you're increasing the chance of an OOF shot while in dark places. But, you'll definitely notice if you forget such a thing because:

-The continuous bursts of high-intensity light, and
-Your camera will take significantly longer to focus without the AF assist.

That second one will probably make you get use to "not forgeting" Such as not forgetting to leave your ISO at 1600 when going out during the day.

IMO, the best way is to have an external flash for the AF beam. You could get the Speedlite Transmitter to avoid the weight of the full flash and still use a beam.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 2:56 PM   #3

BoYFrMSpC wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't really consider the built-in flash an assist lamp. More like a burst of searing flashing pain (especially if you're in the dark).

The burst flash that helps auto focus is extremely annoying. And if you're taking pictures of people, it's really going to annoy them as well.

What you said is certainly true; If you forget to raise the flash, you're increasing the chance of an OOF shot while in dark places. But, you'll definitely notice if you forget such a thing because:

-The continuous bursts of high-intensity light, and
-Your camera will take significantly longer to focus without the AF assist.

That second one will probably make you get use to "not forgeting" Such as not forgetting to leave your ISO at 1600 when going out during the day.

IMO, the best way is to have an external flash for the AF beam. You could get the Speedlite Transmitter to avoid the weight of the full flash and still use a beam.
Don't you mean the LACK of continuous flashes? Being as the flash would be down. But yes you're right it probably would be very annoying to the people you're shooting. To get a series of strobe flashes fired at them before the main flash. HAH!!

While one of the better solutions would be to use an external flash...would you always be willing to carry it around? Unless you're one of those guys who doesn't mind lugging around a camera bag full of gear. But it's those times when you DON'T want to carry the external flash with you or have it sitting on your camera that you'd love to have a AF Assist lamp built into the body outside the flash. Canon designers :P

Hopefully they'll get it right in the 40D. But I won't hold my breath. Welp I'm outta here (this thread). Just have to wait and see what Canon does with the 40D. Or look elsewhere.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote