Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 27, 2007, 10:49 AM   #1

Hi,

I am looking to buy a Canon 1D Mark II Used. Currently used ones are going for 2200-2400. With new cameras to be announced will the price of this camera go down after the announcement.

I can wait for a month easilly. By previous trends, what dou think is better. Coz currenly people are frantically selling the mark II knowing about the impending new camera release.

Thanks

Kevin
waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:06 AM   #2

Not sure if its going to go down drastically

From the rumours the 1Ds Mark II may be replaced. But chances of replacing the mark II N is pretty slim

Even 5D will mostly wait for the next cycle.(No point in replacing something that has no competetion)

Only thing i can see as a good upgrade would be Digic III on all cameras.

After all the comments, they may release a 5D with weather Sealing, 5fps for almost the same price(around 3100 without rebate)

But speculations are always speculations. If u get a good price for a 1D Mark II go for it

Check adorama.com. They sell refurbished for like 2400. And this one u can purchase mack warranty apart from 90 day adorama warranty.

And Refurbished are those refurbised by CANON themselves. So u can expect a good camera,

Vj
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:07 AM   #3

1D-mkII is the older version, the current one is the 1D-mkIIn, and it is not that old.
My bet is, if any of the top pro cameras are changed out it will be the 1Ds-mkii which has been there for many years now.
Although it is always possible both models will get swapped out to include something new like the digic-III processor in them.

With just in time delivery and wharehousing, there is rarely a surplus of the old bodies to get rid of when a new one comes out.
What happened in the past, here at least, is the supply of the old bodies dried up a few months before the new one hit the shelves.

YMMV as you never know what the manfacturers are going to do though.
It is always possible to find a good used deal if you keep looking for them.

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:29 AM   #4

also 1d mark II and 1d Mark II N are not much different. Except for few minor changes. If ur getting a 1D Mark II for like 2k with less than 10000 actuations u shud buy it.

These cameras will last for atleast 200000 actuations. Honestly thats too much before u will see a 30MP FF 16fps 1D Mark 99 series cameras :blahintended)

Between 5D and 1D Mark II its always tough to choose.

1d Mark II sits nicely at a place where it can be used for portraits as well as sports with its 1.3X mag.

U can get a 5D for almost 2100 after rebates. So its what u want.or rather what u shoot.

In my opinion 1d Mark II is a better general purpose camera than any other ones. Meaning though its specific for sports, the 8.5mp is more than enuff for portraits and landscapes too.

Not everyone sells 20*30 prints.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 7:07 PM   #5

I think it is a safe bet that the 1D MkII N will be replaced. I agree with Vj on this one.
Yes, the N version isn't that old but the changes were trivial. I believe they only came out with it because they weren't ready to release the new one so they felt they had to put out *something*. Bit that is pure speculation.

8MP in the pro sports line is not competitive any more and it needs to be refreshed (compared to the D2x.) I just hope they'll do something more than just speed up AF and increase the MP.

I might buy it if I can get a good price on my N, but I won't be jumping for it.

Now, the really interesting rumor (based on filed Canon patents) is that they're coming up with a 2-level sensor (kinda like the foveon, but 2-layer not 3-layer.) It would have one entire layer for green and the other would be split 50/50 between red and blue. A very interesting idea, but who knows? It usually takes a long time
between patents and actual product. But it's certainly an interesting rumor. Even if it doesn't turn out to be true (the new sensor) it's at least an interesting peek at what could be the future. Canon making its own sensor certainly opens up interesting options.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 8:40 AM   #6
NHL

Yeap I tend to agree...

A used D2X is better buy than a used 1D MrkII. Like the MrkII to Mrk II N revision which is only a bigger rear LCD and the addition of 'Picture styles", which you won't be needing in RAW, the two cameras are essentially the same.

The D2X to D2XS transformation was also very minor (biggest difference is the blackout 2x cropped in the viewfinder); However what you get is a higher resoultion cropped camera in the same order as the 5D! IMO the D2X also handle better in your hand may be because it is substancially lighter and the battery last longer as well, unlike the older style 1D series (bringing the 1D charger and 2 NiMh packs are huge and heavy!!!)

Seriously though sometime the 1.6x crop is advantageous to 1.3x (or full-frame) especially with wildlife when it comes to lens selections...
-> you also get to leapfrog to where the next 1D MrkIII should be :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 10:14 AM   #7

The difference between the D2X and the 1d Mark II would be the Noise at HIGH ISO's

D2X does have a problem with Noise creep even at ISO 400 and above. Sometimes, rather many times this will be a factor if ur a sport shoooter.

Just two cents.

But D2X is an overall camera. it uses 12MP FF for normal shoot still doing 5fps which most of the 5D users are craving for and when switching to crop mode it can shoot 8fps.

So Nikon did their homework except for noise.

May be time to mvoe from CCD censor to CMOS(if anyway possible ::blah
Old Jan 28, 2007, 10:35 AM   #8

oops.

thanks all. I currently have a lot of canon lens's and i dont want to switch to Nikon. I have a 5D and the 3fps is rather restricting for sports. And one main reason i wanna go to 1 series is the weather sealing. Mainly against dust and moisture. I travel a lot to India and its not the right place to flaunt ur 5d coz the weather and dust is relentless.

Any updates to the new line ups will be atleast 4k to 5k

And can someone tell me about the refurbished one. Is it just an used one with clean up done or what?

Thanks

waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 7:24 PM   #9
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
The difference between the D2X and the 1d Mark II would be the Noise at HIGH ISO's

D2X does have a problem with Noise creep even at ISO 400 and above. Sometimes, rather many times this will be a factor if ur a sport shoooter.

Just two cents.
It depends on the NR setting on the D2X, but the two cameras are quite comparable:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond2x/page21.asp

It's not a CCD, but the 1st generation Sony's CMOS (before their 10.2MP version)

-> at the 2x cropped (8fps) setting (same as Canon) it'll make the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8EX an equivalent of 240-600 f/2.8 and put all other lens to shame!!! :lol: :-) :G
Also think about my new EF-500 f/4... The D2x with their 200-400 f/4 VR will exceed the reach at 2x (before any TC), is a zoom, and a lot lighter... BUT the outfit is guaranteed to cost less than going down the 1D path!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 12:26 AM   #10

oops. sorry i compared with the early Nikon D1.

the specs are so awesome for D2X to be the allround camera. Cant believe to have a 600mm f2.8 using just a 120-300 f2.8 lens. Guess the best shoooting sports camera around is Nikon. rather more camera for the money one puts in.

it still generates a 7mp picture at 2x crop at 8fps

Compared to 8.5mp picture at 1.3x crop at 8fps.

If i am wise enuff to compare i would pick the nikon for just the 2x factor since other factors are just the same . No difference between a 7mp and a 8.2 mp.

its still 8fps and oh my god, i wish i can switch over to Nikon in a day :blah:

hehe..just kidding....

Canon needs to come out with a similar concept..Coz currently i do favor Nikon as NHL does..

One more vote for Nikon if sports and general purpose together.

Vj