Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 3, 2007, 10:08 AM   #1

I've had a limited success with turning my hobby of shooting sports into selling prints and selling files for websites. I have been using an Oly E-500 and am very pleased, BUT, I realize the glass and needed specs are with Canon.
After you berate me (LOL) for my initial choice of equipment, I'd like opinions for which lens' to get. After researching, I think that the 30D is better suited for my indoor, poor lighting, contact sports shoots. The 24-70 f/2.8L lens seems to be the choice of ringside comrads that shoot Canon. Pro fights do not allow flash. But, is there a flash of choice to get ?
Thanks for your input. Your unbiased opinions are valued and always more informed that those of the sales help.
Petepix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2007, 10:39 AM   #2

For sports, the 30D, 20D are the 6cyl Honda Accord Vtech engine 5 frames/sec,you don't want to go back to the 4cyl car going uphill.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 11:01 AM   #3

1d mark II is like Shelby GT500

hehe
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 11:18 AM   #4

How many frames/sec, from 0-60sec take off.:-)
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 11:40 AM   #5

I really do appreciate the cute banter, but I was looking for some help before i spend $$ needlessly.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 12:34 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Petepix wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for your input. Your unbiased opinions are valued and always more informed that those of the sales help.
The daddy of Canon flashes is the EX580 which if you are wanting a really fast recycle then you can add an additional power pack to. I use this flash (unfortunately without power pack) for shooting parties/dancing in varying light conditions and find it really good. I know there are some tasty metz flash units out there but have not played with them to get a feel for the response. I've not shot ringside but guess in most places have really good spotlighting so you can get away with f2.8 easily without the need to go brighter.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 12:50 PM   #7

How many frames/sec, from 0-60sec take off.

the 1d Mark II is 8.5 FPS. Its sounds like a rattler when let go of the shutter..

honestly 5fps should get u some good shots.. the 8.5fps may get some pose's u never expected.

For any sports the 1D Mark II is really good. 30D is good with its 1.6X and 5fps.

1D is pro series. 30D is prosumer series.

Wait for a month and u may get a better buy from Canon. may be a 40D with 10Mp and a 1.6x and a 6fps. Who knows

Between the pro series and prosumer its u to decide if u wanna spend 2000$ more for the body or spend that 2000$ on a lens like sigma 120-300.

And by the way the shelby does the 0-60 in like 4.5 sec..not the best

but its just muscle ) how i wish i can drive tht beast also the 1D Mark II
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 1:19 PM   #8

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
1d mark II is like Shelby GT500

hehe

As long as we're one-upping here, what would that make this stuff...

http://www.pbase.com/omoses/image/49980102

http://www.pbase.com/omoses/eq_rollei

oh, for the money. We could just forget which Japanese maker has the "better" equipment, because none of them do. Most of us just can't afford it, so we "make do" what what else is available.

Petepix, there's no need to do a lot of extra workregarding your question. If you'll just buy that 30D and 24-70/2.8, that's the outfit you want for what you're doing. About the only thing that might make it better would be if you chose a 5D instead of the 30D, but then you might want to buy a second lens to reach a little longer. An 85/1.2L or 100mm f2would get some killer up-close shots at ring side.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 2:54 PM   #9

Mark/Greg; Thanks for the help and confirmations as I enter the Canon world. I'll probably wait for the PMA to pick up a 30D, since the $ may fall if they issue a 40D.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 6:27 PM   #10
Super Moderator

I think in your situation you are right with waiting as now it is quite close to PMA and you already have a camera which is allowing you to shoot in the desired environment. Just in case anyone new is reading this my standard advice is purchase a camera when you need it rather than holding on just in case there is something better as we know there will always something better just around the corner and you will wait forever!!

Downside of the 5D is the slower continuous shoot speed (only 3fps) but it is nice to have full frame and the higher res. Having said that look at what the pros who shoot sport with the Canon have which is the 1D Mark IIn which still has 8.2 Mega Pixels but some very nice other features. I know (as a 30D sports shooter) that either this or the replacement will give you very good results and keep you going for a long time.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote