Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 4, 2007, 4:55 PM   #1

SEE UPDATE BELOW. Was it batterY?????
Please help. 30d is still very new. All works very well. All of the sudden, today, the flash will not pop up. Under no mode, automatic or otherwise. Will not pop up using the manual flash button (whatever its called).

Very frustrating, especially as the camera is still firing the flash in the closed position. Could this hurt the flash in any way to fire while still in the down position? Of course, as the camera thinks it is using flash and the pictures are coming out dark, I'll not use any mode requiring flash until it is fixed. But, could that hurt as my wife has used it for 30 or 40 shots before she realized it?

Any workarounds like in a shut cd-rom drive? Anything???

leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2007, 4:08 PM   #2

I had a similar problem and discoverd that the external flash rail at the top of the

camera had moved jamming a small pin stopping the internal flash from opening.

i rectified the problem by loosening the screws to free off the pin.

Hope this help's
Scottishpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 6:27 PM   #3

Not sure what screws. Was this pin something external that hide gotten in or a part of the camera itsel?

Still under warranty, not real sure if I'm ready for that step any way but curious what you did.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:51 AM   #4

UPDATE. Within a day or so, my battery indicator began to flash. Charged the battery. Next operation, FLASH POPPED UP AS IF NOTHING HAD EVER BEEN WRONG!!!

That is the good news. The only bad news is that 2 customer service folks informed me the camera would have to be sent in and evaluated.

Is it possible the battery was just low enough to not fire the mechanism to open the battery?!? Or, do most of you have all camera functionality all the way down to a dead battery?

If the first situation, it does seem to me that focusing a lens would be just as hard on the battery as popping up the flash.