Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 7, 2003, 3:38 PM   #1

Default a silly technical question for experts.....

Let's say you are taking pictures of clouds with your DSLR and the sun pops out. Will it burn out or damage the sensor?
nimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2003, 3:45 PM   #2

I've shot towards the sun many time, and my D100 still captures well. The answer is NO.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2003, 4:48 PM   #3

That has been my experience with the 10D. I haven't done lots, but I've done a few and the camera has been fine. (Note that the D100 and 10D have different sensor designs, so it looks like neither CCD nor CMOS suffer from direct sun pictures.)

My completely non-scientific believe is that the warning is there to protect your eye, not the camera. But I have no proof to back that up.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2003, 6:33 PM   #4

from the point of personal safety eric is correct.

from the point of the quick sun shot as in high speed single shot that the sun happens to be in. that would be ok with the caveat that its your camera.

extended open lens direct shots will highly risk smoking your imager without proper filtering. you are concentrating the light (through your lens) from a already highly concentrated light source into that imager box area. heat will build up. sounds like a science project.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2003, 2:11 PM   #5

ops: :shock: :twisted: Don't worry about sensor damage. Just worry about a minds eye damage. Since you do not use a camera and instead use your mind to store the image you should worry about possible mind and or brain and or eye damage.
binddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2003, 4:24 PM   #6

As far as just to take the picture, you're are fine, camera manufacture does not recomend you point the camera directly at the sun for the long period of time, it may/will damage the sensor/chip. I took picture of sunrise and sunset so many times, but never try to point the camera directly at the sun in the middle of the day (noon).
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote