Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 13, 2007, 10:30 PM   #31

Well you guys in the USA are lucky. I also have a Xti that under exposes outdoor and especially indoor flash pictures even with my 430ex flash, using the EF-s 18-55mm lens.

I sent in tons of flash and a few outdoor pics and Canon Canada tells me no problem what so ever with the XTi its normal to have dark pictures. :?They saidXti has NO problems with underexposure. On flash using the 18-55mm and increasing the ev 2/3 to 1 makes no difference.

On xmas we setup a D200 with a Sb800 and my Xti with a 430ex on two tripod all my pictures was under exposed. I sent these to Canon Canada and they tell me its normal. Shoot bracket. :?

Guys I will pm some of you, hopeyou dont mind as Iam trying to get some backup infoto take to Canon headoffice here in Canada for service. I said you guys(Canon Canada)here are in serious denial.

Thanks great info and forum. Hope to get the Xti fixed like you guys.

In this 3rdemail to Canon and speaking to them 3 times on the phone, I said I took same pictures with the Canon and my point and shoot Olympus C750. Set both at ISO100 and F5.6 and both camera selected the same shutter speed.

But all the Canon pictures was under exposed and the Olympus was fine. In Photoshop CS checking the levels the Oylmpus was almost dead center with the XTI half way from dark to mid point.

Canon Canada has the nerve to tell me this is normal. Damm basically expect better exposed pictures with a point and shoot.

Reading here, I know why the cameramight need adjustment or replacing using the efs 18-55mm as I read here metering at 5.6 is not accurate.
Here is Canon Canada respose to me today.

Thank you for your e-mail concerning your EOS Digital Rebel XTi.

We received the images supplied with your e-mail and understand you concern. Based on the results obtained, your EOS Digital Rebel XTi appears to be operating to specification. The results obtained do not suggest a malfunction.

The images captured by your EOS Digital Rebel XTi do appear slightly darker than the non-Canon camera. Different camera models utilize different technologies which can affect sensitivity to light. As such, exposure difference between two different digital cameras is to be expected. To achieve lighter results with your EOS Digital Rebel XTi we recommend the following camera settings:

1. Adjusting the exposure compensation. Depending on the composition, it may be necessary to increase or decrease the exposure compensation by one (1) stop to achieve the desired brightness level. For more information on when to adjust the exposure compensation you may visit the below links on our website:

-
http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/p_4_003.html

- http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/p_4_004.html

- http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/p_4_005.html

For more information on this setting you may view page 74 in the camera instruction manual.

2. Using the auto exposure bracketing mode. This shooting mode captures three images every time the shutter button is pressed once. One of standard exposure, one of increased exposure, and one of decreased exposure. This allows you to ensure one of the captured images is exposed as desired. For more information on this shooting mode you may view page 76 in the camera instruction manual.

3. Using the AE lock function when capturing images with bright and dark areas. This allows you to prevent bright areas such as the sky from impacting exposure level. In the supplied image "Xti Outdoor 2.JPG" the sky occupies a significant portion of the image. As the metering mode was set to evaluative, this would have impacted the exposure settings used by the camera which may have caused dark areas to look too dark. By using the AE lock function, you can lock the exposure on the main subject in the scene omitting the bright area. Once exposure is locked, you may recompose the scene as desired and capture the image. For more information on this camera setting you may view page 84 in the camera instruction manual.

Adjusting the exposure compensation/using the auto exposure bracketing function and utilizing the AE lock function will help yield improved results.

As mentioned by the Technical Support Representative over the phone, you are welcome to forward your camera body to our Service Department for inspection to verify it is operating correctly. Please include your name, address, e-mail address, daytime telephone number, copy of your bill of sale and a brief description of the symptoms. The battery, lens, and memory card are not required. Upon receipt, we will have a technician thoroughly inspect your product and advise you of the findings.

At this time, we do not charge for the inspection from our Service Department. Listed below is the address for your convenience:

CANON CANADA INC.

1400 Courtneypark Dr E

Mississauga, ON, L5T 1H1

Tel.: 905/795-2005

Should you require further assistance, please feel free to email us or visit our customer support website at
http://www.canon.ca

Yaamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 9:16 AM   #32

Diego I think what the service tech has told you could be the problem and fix.

These pictures are taken with my 430ex flash and the factory EFs18-55mm lens.

I just looked back on some of my photos and at higher F stops the camera goes under exposed compared to F3.5 with the 18-55mm lens. ISO 100, f7.1 shutter 1/125th metered pattern, and I bounced the flash

Shot at f3.5, ISO100, 18mm and 1/160th, pattern metered.

I will be taking this info to Canon Canada and hopefully with some of you guys help some work order what was done to fix your guys camera they cn do the same for me.

The top pictures is what most of my pictures come out as. and I know this is not right. Funny think I sent pictures like this to Canon Canada the under exposed one and they did not comment on any flash pictures. Are they in denial here. Oh noooo.

Old Apr 22, 2007, 6:10 PM   #33

Yaamon wrote:
Quote:
Diego I think what the service tech has told you could be the problem and fix.
In this report (not mine, it is from another fixed 400D of a friend) the Canon Service said clearly that they changed the focusing screen:

http://www.canoniani.it/public/imgsforum/2007/36.jpg

In this message another 400D user said that the Service "replaced the focusing screen" to fix the underexposure issue: http://www.canoniani.it/forum_forum....n=9&post=44514

About your flash pictures... did you try to use ISO 400 instead of ISO 100?
At 400 the flash covers more distance.
Diego Cuoghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 10:57 PM   #34

Diego I did not try at iso 400 but 200 made no real difference.

The distance that I was shooting from the 430ex should have more than enough output to shoot at iso100. Distance was no more than 5' and ceiling was 8 or 9'.

I took over a hundred pictures at different metering and f stop that night. I would say maybe 20% of them came out well. Those were all bounce flash. Seems that direct flash with the 430ex has severe under exposure.

I droped off the camera to Canon head office here with a cd full of photos and printed out work order from US owners that have sent in their camera and got it back repaired.

The day before I droped the camera to Canon I took lots of pics outdoor, with different metering pattern and different f stop. All seems to get the best exposureat 2/3+ ev.

I also sent photos from my Olympus C750 and Sony camera of the same outdoors and all was exposed properly when you check the levels.

I also sent in lots of flash pictures. Seems the built in flash not bad if I increase ev to +1. Direct with the 430ex the pictures were still under exposed at +1ev and over.

Bounce photos was better at +1ev. Then I took a plant that was about 7 feet away direct with the 430ex up to ev +1 the photo was very dark. Overall it seems flash pictures are really messed up.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 6:39 PM   #35

Update info on the service in progress.

It's been a week since Canon had my camera, kit lens and 430ex flash so I decided to call the tech support person that I was dealing with to find out what is the status of the repair.

I left a message and he called back about 3 hours later. He said that the camera is currenty on the work bench and yes they can confirm the camera is out of specification.

That is a nice way of sugar coating it. They should say Canon has a defective batch. :roll:

I said is the problem the focusing screen that has to be replaced and software adjusted like the US camera's that go in for service?

He could not comment on what needed to be repaired, he said for me to call back at the end of the week, I hope the camera will be ready by then as it will be about 2 weeks ??

Old May 19, 2007, 8:28 PM   #36

I haven't read what everone has posted, however, I just want to say this . . . I got a Rebel xti for Christmas and could not get a decent indoor photo on auto. I wrote numerous forums and everyone told me I needed to learn to use my camera since it won't work like a point& shoot."It's a $800 camera on auto" I would repeat & I was treated like a moron. I even contacted Canon suppport, who gave me a laundy list of things to try, but would not admit there could be a problem.

I put it in the closet and replaced myS1IS w/ S3IS, feeling unworthy of a DSLR. Well, finallyI gave it to a friend with a xt to test. Funny, he got the same results untill he switched our lenses. Imagine that,I wasn't crazy, my kit lensturned outsucky photos on both cameras.

Turns out, after calling Canon again, yeah maybe your lens isn't talking the same language as your camera . . . send it back and we'll fix that.

Now I have a terrific camera that works beautifully.

The moral . . . Sometimes new cameras are just broken!!
cmonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 1:06 PM   #37

Hi everyone,

I've got the underexposure problem, too. I'm very angry because last week my 350D has been stolen and I've bought the 400D as a replacement. Having made 13,000 pictures with my 350D over the past 2 years, I can DEFINITELY say thatMY 400D underexposes the pictures by about 2 - 3 stops compared to the 350D. This appears in manual mode as well as in auto mode and also when using flash.

Clearly, my new 400D is inferior to my old stolen 350D. After 13,000 pictures you know the difference and also the histograms for all pictures show a skewness of the distribution to theleft which is the final proof.

I cannot accept that I have to manually correct each and every picture to obtain a proper exposure.

:evil:

fisheye

Fisheye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 8:24 AM   #38

Update: Canon has sent me an e-mail and asked me to bring the camera to the service center. They say, that the E-TTL could be the reason for slight underexposure and that some cameras need to be adjusted because they've been set to improper values.

This should put an end to the discussion if the XTi under- or overexporures. Obviously, some cameras are faulty.

regards,

fisheye

Fisheye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 6:05 AM   #39

Fisheye wrote:
Quote:
Update: Canon has sent me an e-mail and asked me to bring the camera to the service center. They say, that the E-TTL could be the reason for slight underexposure and that some cameras need to be adjusted because they've been set to improper values.

This should put an end to the discussion if the XTi under- or overexporures. Obviously, some cameras are faulty.

regards,

fisheye

I do hope they fix it for you soon. Once its working right you will be impressed with the quality
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 6:43 PM   #40

Gary,

Dont sweat it ..........if the XTi seems to be underexposing it probably is. If its still under warranty ship it to Canon and let them recalibrate it. I did, and mine now works like a charm. two days to get to canon.........two days to fix......2 days back and I had it under a week. A bunch of the XTi's came out of the japanese sweat shop screwy!

Jay

www.jayscanonphotos.com
pacman1951 is offline   Reply With Quote