Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 10, 2007, 8:07 AM   #1

I have recently started shooting Raw with my 400D and have encountered a problem. Images with plain dark areas show a cross hatch pattern which becomes more prominent if the image is lightened. I never noticed this with Jpeg.

Is this normal with Raw files or is it specific to the 400D?

Can the cross hatching be filtered out?

luceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2007, 9:40 AM   #2

I have the 400D and have no problems shooting raw could it be the memory card? try another, if you still have a problem contact canon.
hope you get it sorted as I couldn't survive now without raw
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 7:24 PM   #3

Thanks Griff,

Having read this article;

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...ile-format.htm

I think maybe what I am seeing is the bayer array before demosaicing.

Using Breezebrowser leaves some of the cross hatching in the Tif file, but DPP seems to make a better job of it.

Thing is, I have just jumped in the deep end with RAW and there is a big learning curve, but from what I have found so far, it is well worth it, but very frustrating at times.

Can anyone recommend online tutorials or books to help learn RAW?

Old Feb 13, 2007, 1:30 AM   #4
djb

Try the book "Raw 101, Better Images with Photoshop & Photoshop Elements" by Jon Canfield. I like it and it's helped me. I don't know what editing program you use but, I would assume the ideas and techniques would be similar in most editors.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 5:16 PM   #5

Thanks Dennis, I have sent for the book.

I have been using Paint Shop Pro 9 for editing. I also have Photoshop Elements 1, but have found PSP easier to use for my previous Jpeg work. Would I be better off with Photoshop for Raw editing, if so, which version do I need?
Old Feb 13, 2007, 5:50 PM   #6
djb

I know nothing about Paint Shop Pro. Photoshop Elements 4 should be quite capable of handling pretty much anything you want to do. You can use raw converters with it. With CS2 raw conversion builtin by means of Adobe Bridge. But elements is about 10X less $$$.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 8:33 AM   #7

You can often get upgrade pricing with photoshop. Since you say you own Elements 1, you might want to see if you can get upgrade pricing to jump all the way to elements 5 (which I believe just came out - at least its listed on the adobe web page!)

both 4 and 5 have a RAW converter - in fact, they share the same converter as the full version of PS.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote